Current equiv of X8?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
jasjas

Current equiv of X8?

Post by jasjas »

Hello:
I had a Fantom X8, which was terrific (nice keyboard, sounds etc). I am not up-to-date with the more modern 'workstation' range and so am wondering which current model is nearest to the X8 in terms of features, keyboard mechanics and sound quality.

Thanks
gdh

Re: Current equiv of X8?

Post by gdh »

FA 08, Korg Kronos 2, newest Kurzweil workstation (sorry can't remember its name). There are a number of comparison reviews online, each has its own strengths and weaknesses and all very good sounding.
jasjas

Post by jasjas »

Thanks - that's a good start! I particularly liked the keyboard action on the X8, so hopefully some of these will match it. The Korg certainly appeals... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFyxBY03WE8

Much obliged,
jas
gdh

Post by gdh »

The Kronos is a beast, I believe it is based off of the Oasys. I played it (Kronos 2) during a studio recording session, I found its sound "brighter with more built in shimmer" than both the Roland and Kurz with the Kurz sound a bit darker than the Roland. It sounds like both the FA and Kronos are about to be replaced from reading various forums. I'm not sure how the newest Yamaha sounds as I have not played one.
jasjas

Post by jasjas »

Sorry for long delay. A friend says you don't buy a Korg for its piano sound, which on some Korgs is not great (tho' only from hearing others play)... - only recourse is to try them out! Many thanks for the short-list.
apex

Post by apex »

You can buy the Kronos for the piano... And be extremely confident about it.