Fantom x problem certain low tones sound fuzzy

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
micwells

Fantom x problem certain low tones sound fuzzy

Post by micwells »

Fantom x problem

I loaded a pre recorded backing track that I hadn't used in a while and the bass part sounded fuzzy - like staticy - almost like it was too loud. I plugged headphones directly into the keyboard to see if the problem was with the main outputs, but the same problem was there. I have since noticed that many sounds , especially those with bass parts are degraded and fuzzy. Lowering the volume doesn't help. I am at a loss trying to tell what the problem is. This keyboard is over 10 years old, and I often wondered how long the cmos battery lasts or even if there is one or what would happen if the cmos battery died. Has any body had this problem or know what I could do to fix it?

When I go through the sounds, many sounds sound fine but others are fuzzy.
gcoudert67

Re: Fantom x problem certain low tones sound fuzzy

Post by gcoudert67 »

Could the mastering effects be on?
micwells

Post by micwells »

Well, i checked that and yes, the mastering effects was on, and it occurred to me that I had no idea what that was. Also, I am confused as to what effect the output gain has on the overall sound, and what is best for live performance? Should it be at 0db - mine was at 12db,
DrewFar

Post by DrewFar »

micwells wrote:Well, i checked that and yes, the mastering effects was on, and it occurred to me that I had no idea what that was. Also, I am confused as to what effect the output gain has on the overall sound, and what is best for live performance? Should it be at 0db - mine was at 12db,
Was the mastering effect the issue? Did it sound fine when you switched it off?
micwells

Post by micwells »

i have to say it helped but no the problem did not go away. still when i play loudly, the problem occurs ..so much so that i cannot use this as my main keyboard for performing - i need to use my fantom G . the weird thing is that it is a subtle problem if i play lightly i don't notice at all. the volume knob also produces static when i turn it up or down. i wonder if i take it apart and give it a good dust blowing . I have not taken it apart before.