Fantom XR: How do I change Performance Information Values?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Altitude

Fantom XR: How do I change Performance Information Values?

Post by Altitude »

Hello:

I need to edit the Performance Information. This screen is access by going to:
Menu --> Part Information --> Enter --> Press Right Arrow key until you see the Expr setting.

For example: In the below screen I need to change the value for Expression for Part 7.
I cannot access this information, is this even possible?

I have followed the instructions on Page 87 of the Instructions Manual but cannot access that value:

The section in the Manual is titled:

Viewing MIDI Messages for
Each Part (Part Information)

Thanks you!
Credo

Re: Fantom XR: How do I change Performance Information Value

Post by Credo »

Just a quick guess, but I think some of these screens are just information displays. All they do is give you some visual feedback of whatever the XR last received over his MIDI/USB port, or from a playing SMF.

If you want to change expression values you'll need to send them from a controller (I.E. a fader, pot, pedal, etc.) or via sequencer.

Expression is CC11, and for most factory Fantom patches it will change volume relative to the maximum master volume (CC7). It's commonly used for things like gradual dynamic changes (to scale with the main channel volume) with string and wind instruments, or to gradually change filters and such for synth sounds.

Note page 245 of the OM that states what modes CC11 can have any effect (expression events can be blocked in the settings menu).

So, send a CC11 event at your desired value to channel 7. I.E. With a slider, or an event in your DAW/sequencer.

Alternatively, if you want to change the default gain/level of whatever parameter CC11 is set up to control in a given instrument patch's control matrix, then you can do that directly in the patch itself (set the default patch level, as well as the weight of influence incoming CC events might have on a given parameter). Of course you'll need to save the edited patch once you've made your personal tweaks to it.