Repair of CF Card reader on Fantom X Diy

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Keys2keys

Repair of CF Card reader on Fantom X Diy

Post by Keys2keys »

Has anyone done this successfully themselves? I took mine apart a few years ago and found the ribbon cable had a damaged connection to the board from what I recall. I saw the other post where the user spent $600 for shop repair....What does the repair involve exactly?
korg1

Re: Repair of CF Card reader on Fantom X Diy

Post by korg1 »

i Believe this is a technical failure by factory. This ribbon should be longer and placed at the other side by factory. The problem usually is caused when cf card is inserted many times on instrument,or this movment of up and down,in and out causes this.

In my case the ribbon was totally ripped of the mainboard.
I have to use the 512ram for over 3 years now,my mainboard is the 6-layer pcb ,and i need someone to repair it if it can be repaired before i sell the keyboard.

Bad thing that fantom can't load through usb port.

Anyway, i believe there is a repair shop in Italy and Uk,that could repair these pcb's .
If someone knows,please let us know too!!!!
korg1

Post by korg1 »

Still looking for someone to repair that booard.....or a working motherboard replacement at a good price.Too bad that still there is no way to load samples via usb,something like usb--> virtual CF reader or any other way like a custom expansion pcb....
Keys2keys

Post by Keys2keys »

I had the ribbon repaired at a local shop. I had some caps replaced at the same time but I believe the total bill was around $300. Tech said there was some pretty tedious soldering involve as mine was ripped completely off the main board as well.

*For anyone experiencing thin or low volume at main outputs...check the capacitors first. If you open the keyboard up and look, you will notice bulging at the top of any bad capacitors (as opposed to them being flat as they should.