"Sample Memory Full!" error when loading song with samples

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
shwnnglnd

"Sample Memory Full!" error when loading song with samples

Post by shwnnglnd »

I am experiencing a "sample memory full!" error lately when ever I try to load a song that has samples. If I had enough memory to hold the song while making it why do I not have enough memory to load it back in later from my CF card?

I have not always had this problem and i have always using the same procedure which is to us the "save song and all samples" function and saving to the CF card.

I feel like i might be able to import the samples manually but that seems a little crazy.

I would appreciate any information you have about how to resolve this. Are there start up options that could help clear memory? I Have already turnoff the auto load of the demo song at startup.
gcoudert67

Re: "Sample Memory Full!" error when loading song with sampl

Post by gcoudert67 »

Could it be that you are loading more user samples (as opposed to card samples) into the RAM on startup than you did when you first created the song?
shwnnglnd

Post by shwnnglnd »

Not sure. I attached a screen shot of the memory screen. This was i think after a fresh reboot. so it shows 100% free in sample memory, 30mb free in user memory and oddly 300% free in card memory. When i load song and all samples i thought that meant only samples that are associated with that song (i.e. the only on the sample list) for me that could be the original sample and the truncated version and whatever chops i make. I don't usually go back and delete the original sample and just keep the truncated and chopped versions.

Back to the 300% free in car memory. The card has all of the songs i have done on my machine since i got it a long time ago so i know it is not empty. I am not sure that it is full either. I usually make use of fantom sounds plus a couple of 1 or 2 bar samples so it is possible that i still have a lot of room left on the card.

I think i will try to find another card, reformat it and then try to save and reload a song.
Attachments
screen shot of fx6 memory
screen shot of fx6 memory
fx6.JPG (116.99 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Are there any samples left in the temp folder (user and card)?
Romey

Post by Romey »

Hi Guys
Some points to add:
1. When you load song and samples, All the samples are loaded, not just the ones associated with the song. (Would be nice if it could) Only way to do that is manually loading them from the sample list.
2. It looks as though you have a 4GB card. The fantom doesn't always report memory available correctly on some cards over 2GB. Although they seem to work just fine.
3. You should probably delete those original samples after you save your chops just to save space if you are not using them. You can also copy them to a different folder on the card or to the audio_import folder so you can reuse them if needed. You will need to do some of this or you will keep getting the error.
4. Lastly you could upgrade your RAM from 256MB up to 512MB. Then you won't need to move or delete anything. RAM is as cheap as a new card. But remember loading samples is slow. More memory=longer load times.
Romey
shwnnglnd

Post by shwnnglnd »

Thank you so much for the replies. I think Romey's point #1 is where I was confused. I did not realize that when it said "all samples" it meant ALL samples on the card not just those associated with the song being loaded. I used to have an ensoniq ASR-10 and with that you would load a song and the bank at the time time. I think what happened is that my CF card finally exceeded the 288mb of data that my board will hold. So i guess i just load the song and then import each sample from the CF card using the number that is listed in the mixer for a given sample (e.g. card 0822). I tried that this weekend and i remember the sample numbers on the card looked different that i was expecting. instead of being in the 800s they had some leading digits or something. Is there a way to mentally convert them so i can easily choose the right samples to import?

Sorry for the dense questions. I appreciate the help.
Romey

Post by Romey »

You should use the sample list to load your samples. (Sample list button next to pads.) The sample numbers should match what is in the mixer. In fact, highlight any sample in mixer and press sample list button will take you directly to the sample in the list. Load the sample from here. (not importing) You can "Mark set" all the samples you wish to load and use the "load utility" to load them all together.
Good Luck!
Romey
shwnnglnd

Post by shwnnglnd »

Great info. This is very helpful. Thanks!
shwnnglnd

Post by shwnnglnd »

I had a few minutes so I loaded some songs as you said and all is well. I notice that it takes a while when trying to get to sample number 800 something because there is a lot of scrolling involved. Is there a faster way to navigate? I tried holding the shift button etc in hopes there was a shortcut but that does not seem to work that way.

By the way I have to say that I really enjoying getting back on the fantom. I have been running some of my sounds through my ASR-10s effects unit and it sounds really good. It roughen ups the clean x6's sounds and it is. Nice marriage. But I digress...