Using the X7 to get the sounds of the band Rush and others

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
timersk

Using the X7 to get the sounds of the band Rush and others

Post by timersk »

The other day I bought a Fantom X7 and like it. I don't know a lot about keyboards and am not really a keyboard player but would like to incorporate keyboard sounds with my guitar playing.

I basically bought the Roland Fantom X7 because I love the band Rush and trusted this would be a good model to go with. It seems very flexible and hopefully I can tweak the sounds to get the Rush sounds I am after and others. I also very much like Led Zep, Boston and Deep Purple.

If anyone is keen on sharing their experiences on creating different sounds that are different than the standard ones in the X7 I would like to hear. I think they are called performances and patches? I have a macpro with osx 10.8.6 with protools and a macbook pro with the latest osx. Someone at Roland thought that connecting usb required an older mac operating system like 10.8?

I would like to learn all I can to use this beautiful keyboard and create sounds suited to the hard rock genre.

Are there any others on the forum thinking around the same lines or using the X7 as I am hoping above.

Thanks,
Tim
gdh

Re: Using the X7 to get the sounds of the band Rush and othe

Post by gdh »

For Rush are you looking to replicate the Oberheim sound ie. Subdivisions, led Zep - Mellotron, organ and Boston - organ?

If your X7 has the SRX Ultimate Keys that will make your life easier. I have 2 JD990's with Vintage Synth and Keys of the 60's & 70's cards installed. The SRX card has many of both cards contained in it.

Let us know the specific sounds that you are looking for. For organs usually use the MKZB3 sounds that are available as I found the onboard organ sounds to be ok. There are threads on here to walk you through the process. For Leslie fx I opted for a pedal. I compared the Ventillator with the Lester K. I opted for the Lester K, just didn't feel that the Vent sounded $200 better.

I tend to use the X6 and Lester K for jam sessions not wanting to much gear to it. I have sampled many sounds from the JD's, Prophet 08, Juno 60 and Korg Radias then layer them in a Performance add some fx.