Strange Sound Coming From SRX Expansion Card

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Robertdsmn

Strange Sound Coming From SRX Expansion Card

Post by Robertdsmn »

I'd like to see if anyone else has had this problem. I bought a used Fantom X7 and an Ultimate Keys Expansion card off of someone on Ebay a few months ago. Everything was working fine for a few months until I started using it at gigs and now I'm having a problem where when I play the programs from the card or performances that incorporate programs from the card, I'm getting this loud obnoxious noise instead of the intended sound from the card. I'm thinking that maybe since I was not sent the special installation tool that originally came with the card, it's not making proper contact with the circuit board and that's causing the issue. What is really frustrating is that it seems to be an intermittent problem. It already screwed up at a gig and I can't have repeat of that situation again. How can I tell if the card itself is defective ? Those damn things are expensive. Right now I have the keyboard over at a service center to try and fix the problem.
Anyone have any ideas on that ?
Thanks.
Andy Keys

Re: Strange Sound Coming From SRX Expansion Card

Post by Andy Keys »

The 'special' installation tool was just a plastic-headed screwdriver.
Is it all sounds from the board causing the issue, or just specific ones? If its all, open up your Fantom and check the SRX boards are properly 'seated'. If they've come a bit loose you'll get all kinds of weirdness.

Let us know what you find.
Andy
Robertdsmn

Post by Robertdsmn »

Yes, it is all the sounds from the expansion card. I did open it up and reinstall the card. It works for a little while then starts acting up again. The day I took it to the service center it was working fine so I hope it starts screwing up when the repair guy tries it so he can hear what's happening. He should be able to install it properly. I'll see what happens when he finishes checking it out.
Thanks.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Hopefully it'll be something simple like dirty contacts on the connecting pins, or a loose cable somewhere.

I hope you can get it sorted. Keep us informed.
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

Try moving it to a different slot and see if that makes a difference to rule out the expansion slot as the culprit.
Robertdsmn

Post by Robertdsmn »

Hi again.
The repair guy went through the keyboard and checked everything, even moving the card to a different slot. He consulted with one of the guys from Roland directly. They are of the opinion that the card is to blame. Unfortunately, the strange sound did not happen when he was testing it so he couldn't hear it in action. Now that I have it back I'm going to use it everyday and take it to rehearsals and see if it does it again. No gigs until I'm certain it's OK. Just in case, I told the guy I bought it from that I'm contemplating disputing the purchase through Paypal and if it does it again, I'm going through with it. Again, its very frustrating because it is an intermittent problem.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Does that mean nothing can be done, if it's the card?
Intermittent faults are a royal pain, because they're so hard to spot. :(

Keep us up to date on how you get on.
Robertdsmn

Post by Robertdsmn »

I don't think those cards have serviceable parts. I can't imagine how you can fix something like that.
It's working OK so far. I'll see what happens over the weekend.
Thanks.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Maybe taking it out and putting it back in a few times has rubbed the pins or contacts clean?
Hopefully it'll be ok.
Robertdsmn

Post by Robertdsmn »

So far so good. Maybe that's what it was.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Great stuff. Hopefully so :)