Different Keyboard Sensitivities

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Robertdsmn

Different Keyboard Sensitivities

Post by Robertdsmn »

Hello.
For pretty much all of my performance and program patches, I need to have the keyboard sensitivity at its highest level. But for the piano sounds, I need to have the sensitivity down a couple notches. Is there a way to have individual sounds or patches have different sensitivities instead of all the same ? I'm pretty sure the adjustment is a global parameter that affects everything.
Thanks.
rcraven

Re: Different Keyboard Sensitivities

Post by rcraven »

Hi,
You can effect a lot of things with the key velocity.
Along with the loudness you can change the filter which can make it sound like it is softer but just some of the frequencies are reduced.

But to answer your question, you can change it.
To change the volume sensitivity of a Patch / Preset (it is much easier to see what you are doing by using the Editor) select the preset and go to the TVA page and change the "Vel Sens".

There is also a "Vel Curve" you should look at. This can make a lot of difference to the 'feel' of the keyboard and rather than me explain how it works you should experiment with it.

Note that there is a setting for each Tone and there CAN be up to 4 Tones to a patch so you may have to adjust more than one. Check the green Select button on the left.

Sometimes the Tones are swapped using Velocity so Tone 1 is use for soft notes, Tone 2 for mp , Tone 3 for mf and Tone 4 for f and above. This will add a lot to the complexity of your adjustments. To see if this is the case for this Patch select the 'Velocity and Key Range' next to the 'Structure', a button up the top of the main page of the editor.

In Performance there is a 'Vel Sens' for each Part.
Like the Patch you can have different Parts across different zones of the keyboard and , of course, the Patch in the part could have velocity switching.

Don't be put off. This is a very powerful synth and really worth your time (and perhaps frustration) to get to understand it.

Feel free to ask for more help

All the best
Royce
Robertdsmn

Re: Different Keyboard Sensitivities

Post by Robertdsmn »

Thanks Royce, I'll try those.