Fantom-S OS upgrade requests

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Artemiy
Site Admin

Fantom-S OS upgrade requests

Post by Artemiy »

Dear Fantom-S/S88 users,

I feel that we should gather all upgrade requests and send them officially to Roland corp.

If you feel you miss some feature or found a malfunction, please submit your investigation at
http://fantom-s.artemio.net/?p=contact.php.

Please also specify your location and full name - this must be included in the official letter in future.

Good luck to everyone.

Artemio.
NY2G

Re: Fantom-S OS upgrade requests

Post by NY2G »

My first set of wishes:

Allow user ram to be seen on pc/mac desktop. I want to be able to transfer large files and backup without going to samrtmedia and then loading again.

User assignable button undo- add this to the list of assignments for one button undo without fishing through menus

User assignable track edit buttons- add this to the list of assignments for one button quantize etc..

Mark all available- in sample mode currently mark all, even selects samples that are not loaded, when creating multis this leaves blank spaces in the keymaps.

Select range - in sample mode let us select a range of numbers. See Kurzweil 2600 implementation.

Assign note to sample in sample page- incoming triggered data gives a note assignment to a track letting you use it as a multitrack of sorts see K2500/2600 ram tracks, motif, and triton studio

Save all bulk file type- bulk save format since we can't have a hard drive this could be one file that you could store on your computer that would contain all data needed to bring your song/samples/keymaps/performances etc back.

XV and fantom76 programs- I am sure the entire rom was not redone. With all the people so upset about the patches, port over some of the files that use same/similar waveforms.

This is all for now. I am enjoying this keyboard, just a few things that could make it better.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Okay, that's great about what you've noticed would be great to implement. But... :-)

I mean, most of these features are maybe too radical and doubtly will be implemented...

Anyway, I'll gather all the requests I get and send them to Roland.
NY2G

Post by NY2G »

Actually most of them are basic. As long as the functions are there, assigning them to different buttons/ or menus should be child's play. Admittedly the ram seen on the desktop may not be possible, as well as xv program conversion, but the rest are very basic considering the way the os is set up.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I agree.

But I doubt that Roland will do that for us :-(

I mean, they mostly do bugfixes and malfunction fixes, but they don't usually implement new features.

We'll see.
cgreene

Sequencer Requests

Post by cgreene »

Hello. I have a couple of requests: Allow the user to turn off (or on) the loop in a sequence while in Quickplay Mode. this can be done with the Xp60/80 and the MC-80 sequencers. Also, when loading in a song file created elsewhere (svq. or mid.) the file name is never visible on the sequencer pages. One more thing: when you mute a track in a sequence the sound cannot be played from the keyboard. That's all for now........ c.greene
cgreene

Post by cgreene »

I'd like to add to my previous post. I have been using the xp80 for several years both live and in the studio. I also use the mc-80. For the Fantom S to be used effectively in a live situation, the features that i mentioned MUST be included. Having said that, the Fantom S is a perfect workstation as the center piece of a studio. I have several other sound sources ( XV 5080, XP-30, Triton Le, Yamaha S-30 etc), so whatever the Fantom S lacks in sounds I can find. It is an excellent controller, and the sequencer is wonderful for working on songs. I think the Fantom S, along with a module of your choice, and a laptop could be a great home or travel studio for a keyboard player. I'm just beginning to check out the sampler, and will have an opinion on it in a later post. c.greene