Chord Memory Trigger Question

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
pianoman41

Chord Memory Trigger Question

Post by pianoman41 »

So I've successfully used the chord memory function in the past where I have a chord progression that needs to be played in rapid succession and I create the chords, save them, assign them to pads and then press and hold middle C to play the default chord and then while still holding down middle C I can press the pads and trigger the other chords for as long as I want. The patch is an indefinitely sustaining patch so as long as I press and hold middle C I can play the chords using the pads for as long as I want.

Now I'm trying to do the same thing except I need both hands for the other parts that I am playing. My hope was that I could press middle C and hold using the sustain footpedal and then remove my finger and just strike the pads as needed. However, it won't work this way. When I press middle C and engage the sustain pedal, that chord will sound indefinitely once I take my finger off. However, if I strike the pads the chord will not change--it just stays on the first chord. It appears as though the key actually has to be physically pressed for this to work.

So my question is, is there an electronic difference between a physical key press/hold and a sustain pedal hold? I know it's a CC message vs a note on/off message, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. Does anyone know how I can use the sustain pedal to keep the chord sustained so I can change it with the pads? I'm doing this in Performance mode, so I did go into the Performance Tabs and ensure that hold is enabled on both the MIDI filters tab and the Control Settings tab (it was already enabled). I've also tried toggling it with no success. I save all Performances as songs so I can save tempo and other info with it. It looks like I might be able to do something similar with RPS and the pads, but Chord Memory is what I'm more comfortable with and it should be able to do it.

Thanks in advance,
Matt