Fantom XR, how to connect ?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
pakkralj

Fantom XR, how to connect ?

Post by pakkralj »

Hallo everybody, I am new here.
I have a fantastic brand new Roland FP 30 piano and I just managed to connect it via USB to my PC with Windows 10 running Cubase Pro 10, so far so good and the integration with Cubase is perfect.
My problem is: I have a few years old Roland Fantom XR (1 Rack unit) packed with expansion cards for drums and organs which I would really like to use to record in Cubase using the Roland FP 30 as a midi controller and honestly I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to connect the three together in order to use the piano as the midi controller, the Fantom to generate the sounds and Cubase to record, in midi or even directly audio only tracks.
Does anyone have a similar set-up or any idea?
The piano connects to the PC via USB but the Fantom use the old midi cable and should be set-up as MIDI - Through, right? The Fantom use the USB for editing only?
Many thanks in advance.
RalphArmsby

Re: Fantom XR, how to connect ?

Post by RalphArmsby »

Not so much a reply but similar plea for help. I have a Fantom XR which I want to connect to my FA7 via Reaper. I can make it work fine with the FA sequencer but I cant figure out how to connect it to Reaper and have sound played that way. I tried to download and install Fantom XR / USB driver but they don't install properly if at all. I have tried with the USB connector and with a pair of standard MIDI cables. I really don't want to have to use the FA7 sequencer because its a pain for any serious composition work. (Might be better if it could have its display show on your PC monitor?!)