Confused about CARD BANKS.

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
epu

Confused about CARD BANKS.

Post by epu »

I understand that the Fantom XR allows for 256 user memories on the actual machine and 256 on a card that can be accessible (played/edited).

My question is, can one store MULTIPLE CARD BANKS on a card with the FANTOM XR requiring that you select ONE BANK ON THE CARD to be designated as the CURRENT CARD BANK that can be accessed and played?

Like would this scenario be possible on a card:

Bank 1*
Bank 2
Bank 3
Bank 4

With the * meaning THAT is the bank which is considered the current USER: CARD

If not, then it would mean that one would have to purchase 10 CF cards to have 10 banks?

This seems a bit backwards. The XV5080 lets you save as many SVDs to a SMART MEDIA card as you want. You're just allowed to load in ONE SVD at a time, but you can select and load another SVD from the same card to take the place of the one that is already in memory.
LA Keys

Re: Confused about CARD BANKS.

Post by LA Keys »

Yes, It is possible to store more than one bank on a CF card, but this is a bit of work to swap from one bank to another.

The Fantom X will only see the bank that is within the file named fans.svd. This file is under the SND directory that is under the ROLAND directory on the CF card.

What I do is that I create multiple directory under the SND directory. I name them according to the bank name and have the fans.svd for that bank right inside the corresponding directory. Then when I want to use this bank I simply place a copy of the fans.svd file right under the SND directory. This way I still have the original file and avoid the risk of deleting it by overwriting the file under the SND directory.

If I remember correctly the copy operation can be done directly with the fantom X but I've always used a computer (with a CF card reader) for that before.

LA

EDIT: This was for the fantom X but the same will work with the fantom XR. I also verified that you can do the copy operation directly from the fantom XR.
onehand

Post by onehand »

LA Keys, could you elaborate with a little more detail? I believe your way of thinking will solve a problem I am having. I too would like to have a few different 'sound sets' handy for different bands/projects and load them accordingly. If they could all be kept on one CF card that would be great. Or if they could all be kept in the internal memory and loaded in at different times, that would work just as well. I am not totally understanding the file system of the 'fans.svd' and where those sounds sets/banks could be saved and then reloaded to or from. Loading and transferring doesn't seem to work for me. Sorry....Just not getting it.
I'm using the Fantom X7 with most current version 2.10
Thank you!
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

onehand wrote: ... Loading and transferring doesn't seem to work for me. Sorry....Just not getting it.
I'm using the Fantom X7 with most current version 2.10
Thank you!
I'm not sure which part you're having a problem with but let's break this into 3 steps:

Step 1- Create a directory (or subdirectory) for each sound bank. In each directory you will put the 'fans.svd' files of this sound bank.

Step 2- Since the fantom X (or XR) only load the bank that is in the fans.svd located under ROLAND/SND directory you will copy the bank you want there. This is one of the fans.svd file from the directory you created on step 1. This can be done directly on the fantom X with the copy function explained in the manual.

Step 3- (That is probably what you're missing) You will need to 'refresh' the fantom X... There's 2 ways to do this: You either turn it off then on again OR you pull the CF card out then back in.

Let me know if any if those steps is unclear

LA

EDIT: Corrected the name to fans.svd
onehand

Post by onehand »

OK! SUPER!
I'll give it a go and see how that works.
I do so appreciate the quick response and details.
battlecate

Post by battlecate »

Okay, old post but good information.

This is something I am adding a note in my personal how-to notes.

It seems that Roland was in the old mindset of "Users will never need more than 1 SVD at a time." mentality. Sort of similar to back in the olden computer days when some developer would say "why would you ever require more than 32meg of integrated ram?" LOL

These days it might be more sensible to buy a CF card(s) from eBay that can permanently hold each "Sound Bank" as you call them as they are very affordable. I believe that there is a glut of cards because of a change in telecom systems that used to need CF cards but no longer is being used. Of course the reason could be wrong, but eBay seems to have a lot at this moment in time.

--BC
Frequalizer

Post by Frequalizer »

I'm curious what else can be done with this SVD bank swapping. I believe the SVD stores a lot of detailed information if I remember right. It might serve as a nice general work around certain inherent machine limitations by just loading different SVD's in this type of manner instead of swapping cards which is more involved.