Roland Fantom S knob repair and update questions

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Faithless

Roland Fantom S knob repair and update questions

Post by Faithless »

Hi guys,

I've acquired another lovely Roland synthesizer - this time it's Roland Fantom S.

It has seen quite a bit though, cutoff Knob is missing (cutoff potenciometer works, though), and the Volume knob is cracking, when adjusted.

I'd like to take it to working condition, so I was thinking, without too much hassle, is it a good idea to take Ext Source knob (since I won't be using it too much, I guess) and put it on the Cutoff?

Picture attached:
https://ibb.co/XYXDTxr

Also, is the maintenance for this synth a complex process - I'm talking about cleaning the ins of the synth, knobs, etc?

Finale question - do I need to update this synth to latest software (current is really old one, probably factory)

Thanks
Liam
rcraven

Re: Roland Fantom S knob repair and update questions

Post by rcraven »

Hi Liam
Changing the knob is fine.
The knobs just pull off, but they can sometimes be hard to remove. Make sure you pull straight up and not to the side. Similarly when putting the knob on, line up the flat on the shaft with the corresponding position on the knob and push straight down.

Noisy volume controls are usually due to dirt on the carbon track inside and the wiper bounces up and down over the dirt as you turn it.
You can replace it, but you will have to open the case and do some soldering.
Sometimes you can turn the knob quickly back and forth and the wiper will brush away the dirt.
If that doesn't work you can turn the synth off, take the knob off and put some contact cleaner between the shaft and the housing so it drips down into the body of the volume control and then turn the shaft to remove the dirt. The contact cleaner just evaporates away in a minute or so.
If that doesn't work after a couple of tries then you probably need to replace it.

Best of luck
Royce
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

Thanks, Royce, appreciate your input - it seems that I've fixed the Volume issue with cleaning, and I've replaced Ext Sources knob's location onto Cutoff!

Do you have any advice on updating the firmware on old synth like this?

Thanks
LIam
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Faithless

Post by Faithless »

Thanks.

Is it actually worth upgrading the software on Fantom- what pros and cons does it have?
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

A lot of the Fantom updates (especially the Library and Editor software) were to allow for new SRX wave cards. There is no list of fixes that I am aware of (perhaps in their service notes).
That being said, it is simple enough to do BUT you need a hard to get get Smart Media memory card or, as I have, a SD to SmartMedia adapter.

All the best Royce
Royce

Here is the text from the update procedure doc...

Fantom-S / Fantom-S88 System Update Procedure

Note: Please back up all important User information before performing the Operating System Update.

Tools Needed:
1. Fantom-S or Fantom-S88.
2. Fantom-S formatted, 32MB SmartMedia Card or larger.
3. Compatible USB capable computer with USB cable or SmartMedia Card reader for your
computer.
4. Update “Roland” folder containing the OS Update.

Creating the Update Card using a SmartMedia Card reader:
1. Insert a Fantom-S formatted SmartMedia Card into the Card Reader.
2. Open up the SmartMedia Card directory
Note: If you have saved any data to the SmartMedia Card and wish to save it, copy the existing “Roland” older on the SmartMedia Card to a new folder on the computer’s Desktop.
After Update is complete, replace the Update “Roland” folder with your original “Roland” folder.
3. Delete the existing “Roland” folder on the SmartMedia Card.
4. Copy the “Roland” folder downloaded in this update to the SmartMedia Card.
5. Remove the SmartMedia Card.
6. Continue on to the “Update Procedure.”

Creating the Update Card using the USB Connection:
1. Insert the Fantom-S formatted SmartMedia Card into the card slot of the Fantom-S/S88.
2. Press MENU.
3. CURSOR Down to “USB.”
4. Press ENTER.
5. Press F6 “Memory Card.”
6. On the Computer, open up the SmartMedia Card directory.
Note: If you have saved any data to the SmartMedia Card and wish to save it, copy the existing “Roland” older on the SmartMedia Card to a new folder on the computer’s Desktop.
After Update is complete, replace the Update “Roland” folder with your original “Roland” folder.
7. Delete the existing “Roland” folder on the SmartMedia Card.
8. Copy the “Roland” folder, downloaded in this update, to the SmartMedia Card.
9. After the files finish copying, press F8 EXIT.
10. Press F8 EXIT.
11. Continue to the “Update Procedure.”

Update Procedure:
1. Turn OFF the Fantom-S/S88.
2. Be sure the SmartMedia Card containing the update files is inserted in the Fantom-
S/S88.
3. Turn ON the Fantom-S/S88.
4. Press MENU.
5. CURSOR Down to select “System.”
6. Press ENTER.
7. Press F4 “System Info.”
8. Press F2 Down repeatedly to select “Version Info.”
9. While holding SHIFT, press and release F7 then press F8, then press F7, then press F8.
10. Release SHIFT.
11. Display should read “[Program Version].”
Note: If this does not work, press EXIT and repeat steps 4-11.
12. Press F2 “UPD(CRD).”
13. Press ENTER.
14. When display reads “Completed. Please, Power Off.” Turn OFF the Fantom-S/S88.
15. Turn ON the Fantom-S/S88 normally.

Factory Reset Procedure:
1. Press MENU.
2. CURSOR Down to “Utility.”
3. Press ENTER.
4. Press F3 “Factry Reset.”
5. Press F8 “Exec.”
6. When display reads, “Please Power Off,” Turn OFF the Fantom-S/S88.
7. Turn ON the Fantom-S/S88 normally.