USB midi driver for Windows 10

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Firedance1978.

USB midi driver for Windows 10

Post by Firedance1978. »

Hi Everyone.
I got a fantom x7 recently and on the cd I have a very old version of usb-midi driver. It is for 98 and xp. I found online on Roland's website a driver for Windows 8 which seems to be not compatible with my Windows 10. I cannot find a proper version.
Have you guys any solution for this issue please? Any help would be highly appreciated.
Firedance1978.

Re: USB midi driver for Windows 10

Post by Firedance1978. »

I see it now someone was trying to have a driver for a xr.. is that will working with my x7 too?
battlecate

Post by battlecate »

Hello:

I have a Fantom-X8.

I have communicated with Roland's Support team and there is and never will be an update to their USB driver and or their Librarian software.

You still have a few options.
  • You could use an older version of Windows on an old machine. I own Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4. I don't own any old versions of Windows. I don't care to pirate software. For Windows I suspect the old ISOs are just ripe with malware.
  • You could try to use an older Windows in a Virtual Sandbox. Such a pain.
  • You can follow this video that provides the steps to allow Windows 10 to use "UNSIGNED" drivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS-IFaGGFqY I use the CC (Closed Captioning) with the English Auto Translate feature built into YouTube.com. I was able to get my Surface Pro USB and Librarian features to work.
I hope that option 3 helps. Let me know.
--BC
Bertel

Post by Bertel »

Use the driver for Win8, but you have to modify this file: D:\...\Win8\Files\64bit\Files\RDIF1045.INF to make it work.
Open this file in notepad and modify the [Manufacturer] sections as follows:

[Manufacturer]
%MfgName%=Roland,NTamd64.6.2,NTamd64.6.3

;[ControlFlags]
;ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Roland]
;; Windows7 - Windows XP 64
;; not supported

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8
%RDID0045DeviceDesc%=RDID0045Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_006D ; FANTOM-X

[Roland.NTamd64.6.3]
;; Windows8.1

[Roland.NTamd64.6.4]
;; Windows10

Save the file and restart Windows while pressing the Enter key. When windows restarts, go for the troubleshooting option allowing to start up without enforcing drivers to be signed.

Run the setup.exe of the driver installation package, connect the FantomX when prompted et voilà.
If it works, you will find the FantomX driver icon in the Control panel.

The driver allows you to use MIDI over USB and you can use the Fantom-X Editor/Librarian/Sample software.
battlecate

Post by battlecate »

Thanks for posting the actual instructions! That was great.