Blown away hearing the Fantom XR!

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Vesa

Blown away hearing the Fantom XR!

Post by Vesa »

Been looking in the wrong direction for a month now :) For old XV-3080/5080, but today I listened to synthmania's audio demos. I listened 10 minutes, was blown away by many pianos, aco guitars, trombones, realistic sitars, some strings and hurried to buy a XR!

128MB waveforms vs 64MB on the XV, I guess the extra 64MB are goodies from many different SRX cards and were just my flavor.

Do XR owners know what patches/waveforms were added to XR that XV is missing, any list somewhere?

Fantom XR Audio demos by Synthmania: http://www.synthmania.com/fantom_xr.htm

Now, if Roland released another 64MB expansion suited as a FIRST expansion for a empty XR, SRX-XR1 :)
rcraven

Re: Blown away hearing the Fantom XR!

Post by rcraven »

Hi Vesa
The wave lists (Parameter List) are available on Roland's web site for both the XV and the FantomX.
https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_pr ... 9a55508da/

The Fantom (the old none not the new one - thanks Roland 8 i ) it basically an XV.
The Fantom S has a few extra waves
The Fantom X has the same waves as the FanS but adds an extra bank (Bank B) of mainly piano, guitar and percussion waves.
Be aware though, as I discovered writing a preset porting program from XV to FanS/X, some of the included old XV waves have been renamed.
So you have to have the two machines side by side and a lot of coffee to check through them all.

There is one final option for you before Roland changed it's synth architecture.
The fully programmable SonicCell.
It has all the FanX and some extra waves from some of the SRX cards, but no sampling ability.
My conversion program also generates SonicCell patches if you have the SRX cards.

All the best
Royce
Vesa

Post by Vesa »

I did KORG Triton/Karma/Le/Studio/PA80 converting back in 2002, was looking for my old source code past weeks but found nada LUL ! Floppies and HDDs thrown away couple of years ago. If I make another convertion program again it will be for Roland gear, focus on SR-JV80 port towards Fantom X series loaded with SRX cards, SRX cards themselves don't hold all patches each SR-JV80 did, coz there is a 16MB limit on JV80 cards, that is Samples + Patch / Rhythm data. Now SRX Patch data is almost twice as big as the JV Patch data, can't store all patches in the 64MB SRX if the JV cards were 16MB. Roland put waveforms there, ran out of memory for more patches, these are now free for us to convert, add as user patches. I know there are more patches available through the 3 SRX cards I have ordered (Complete Orchestra, World, Symphonique) than there is combined user/card patch locations. Now I am talking about a half-full expanded XR, add Studio and you probably miss another 200 patches. But, I do think Roland patch crew did lots of manual work on EACH SR-JV80->SRX patch, a simple patch convertion might not sound very "SRX/XV/XR". I'm my mind I see convertions of XR firmware/OS, containing the patches you want.
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

Vesa wrote: 11:33, 16 October 2021 Been looking in the wrong direction for a month now :) For old XV-3080/5080, but today I listened to synthmania's audio demos. I listened 10 minutes, was blown away by many pianos, aco guitars, trombones, realistic sitars, some strings and hurried to buy a XR!

128MB waveforms vs 64MB on the XV, I guess the extra 64MB are goodies from many different SRX cards and were just my flavor.

Do XR owners know what patches/waveforms were added to XR that XV is missing, any list somewhere?

Fantom XR Audio demos by Synthmania: http://www.synthmania.com/fantom_xr.htm

Now, if Roland released another 64MB expansion suited as a FIRST expansion for a empty XR, SRX-XR1 :)
Hello,

Where can I download this SOUNDS?
Can't find them......

Greetings,

rob
Vesa

Post by Vesa »

http://www.korgforums.com/downloads.htm for tons of PCG files for many models.

http://www.synthmania.com/Roland%20Fant ... dio/Patch/ to download Fantom XR audio demos of each patch.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Vesa wrote: 11:33, 16 October 2021 128MB waveforms vs 64MB on the XV, I guess the extra 64MB are goodies from many different SRX cards and were just my flavor.
Hmmm... I didn't think the Fantom XR included any SRX sounds (though it has space for 6 SRX expansion cards). But maybe I'm wrong...
rcraven wrote: 01:30, 17 October 2021 The Fantom (the old none not the new one - thanks Roland 8 i ) it basically an XV.
The Fantom S has a few extra waves
The Fantom X has the same waves as the FanS but adds an extra bank (Bank B) of mainly piano, guitar and percussion waves.
Be aware though, as I discovered writing a preset porting program from XV to FanS/X, some of the included old XV waves have been renamed.
I didn't think the Fantom S included the full set of XV waves. In fact, Roland came out with a downloadable set of XV-5080 sounds for the Fantom S, and the docs say that some of them will sound different due to the absence of the exact same waves, and substitutions of similar waves instead.
rcraven wrote: 01:30, 17 October 2021There is one final option for you before Roland changed it's synth architecture.
The fully programmable SonicCell.
It has all the FanX and some extra waves from some of the SRX cards, but no sampling ability.
Does Sonic Cell include all the waves of the Fantom XR? Can Fantom XR programs be loaded into the Sonic Cell?

Though as for whether Sonic Cell is the "final option" for this architecture, I thought the Juno DI and DS were derived largely from Fantom X sounds, no? Maybe Fantom G?
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

I didn't think the Fantom S included the full set of XV waves. In fact, Roland came out with a downloadable set of XV-5080 sounds for the Fantom S, and the docs say that some of them will sound different due to the absence of the exact same waves, and substitutions of similar waves instead.
You are right, not all the XV waves are in the FanS and some are the same, but they are renamed just to add to the confusion.
FanS presets are playable on FanX. In fact there is an import option in the FanX Library Program.

It is also quite obvious when playing XV and FanS that the same waves sound different. Different DACs and compression.
When I had an XV2020 I was very surprised just how different the sound was.
This is also true when I converted XV patches to FanS to FanX to SC. They all sounded different.
Some due to the hardware, but also due to the compromises I had to make in the conversion program.
Does Sonic Cell include all the waves of the Fantom XR? Can Fantom XR programs be loaded into the Sonic Cell?
I can't be sure as I have never worked with an FanXR, but as I recall, a lot, if not all, from the FanX waves are in the SC and again some are renamed and many have their wave number changed and to top it off, the model ID changed in the sysex header of the SC.
The MFX types and control numbers are also all over the place and it took me ages to sort this out for the conversion.
So there is no direct way to import the FanX patches in to the SC without coding a conversion.
Though as for whether Sonic Cell is the "final option" for this architecture, I thought the Juno DI and DS were derived largely from Fantom X sounds, no? Maybe Fantom G?
Ah guilty. 'Final' was perhaps never going to be right when Roland recycle so many of they synths.
Roland moved to a different architecture for the FanG and then had a mix with the Integra.
This is where I stopped buying and looked in detail at Roland synths so you could be right.

mea culpa
Royce