Fantom-S not Windows 98 compatible!

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
FatBoyJim

Fantom-S not Windows 98 compatible!

Post by FatBoyJim »

I called Roland customer support today and spoke with Robert. He said that the manual and other literature put out about the Fantom-S was wrong and that the Fantom-S is not Windows 98 compatible. He said that the manual had a lot of mistakes and that Roland was correcting them and coming out with a new manual that previous buyers of the Fantom-S could have free of charge but that it will be a little while before it comes out. My understanding from NoiseMaker is that Windows XP is a wise upgrade choice.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Fantom-S not Windows 98 compatible!

Post by Artemiy »

I don't think you can't get your win98 working with Fantom-S. The only thing you seem to need is a USB storage driver that you can get in many places.

Also, some people say that this driver is included on the CD that comes with Fantom-S.
FatBoyJim

Re: Fantom-S not Windows 98 compatible!

Post by FatBoyJim »

I do hope that it is as easy as getting the right USB driver but I have had no luck with the drivers that I have downloaded and by telling my computer to look in the CD ROM that came with the Fantom-S. I am able to use the Editor and Librarian by hooking up my computer via a USB MIDI Interface which comes with a CD ROM which had several drivers on it and apparently one of these drivers made this hook up possible, but I not able to hook up my Fantom-S to my computer directly using USB alone. If I understand this correctly the reason to hook up the Fantom-S and your computer with a direct USB connection is so that the Fantom-S will show up on your computer as a hard drive which will enable you to send samples from you computer to your Fantom-S and which will also enable you to send completed songs from the Fantom-S to your computer to burn a CD. If anyone thinks they have a solution to this or thinks that they know of a USB driver that will work let me know and I will give it a try as I am the ultimate tight ass and would like to avoid spending around $100 to upgrade to Windows XP.