ANYONE HAVE THE UPGRADE YET?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
beyondthesedoors

ANYONE HAVE THE UPGRADE YET?

Post by beyondthesedoors »

I dont get how the upgrade will work- I am waiting for mine still but on the site it doesnt say anything about 128 new patches? how does it all work- once i get the CF card do i put it in and it downloads automatically or do i have to keep it in there? or do the patches also get downloaded? i mean isnt it a OS update with extra patches?

Partho- BTD
pianodick

Re: ANYONE HAVE THE UPGRADE YET?

Post by pianodick »

This is the million dollar question. I am curious about it as well and I don't even have an X. I am also curious as to how much memory this will consume. ?????

Signed, "Nature is hard enough on us, let's not be hard on each other."
beyondthesedoors

Because i called GC up and they said a roland rep came by and upgraded all the systems....it seems on the sound list it says Fantom X Patches added by Audio Track Expansion---key word ADDED. i guess this means that the whole PCcard and CF was to only prevent fraud.

Partho- BTD
dansgold

Post by dansgold »

Part of the FantomX is software-driven.

It's not entirely virtual, like the V-Synth, but the internal patches and quite a few other things are completely configurable in software.

As long as an update doesn't use up all of the Flash-ROM available for the OS, or try to get the Fantom to do something that the hardware just isn't capable of doing (like suddenly having 256 notes of polyphony or 16 multi-effects)

I imagine that it would be possible to write an entirely new operating system, with an entirely different layout, should it ever make sense for Roland to do so.
beyondthesedoors

Cool! So i guess we can prob even chuck the CF card after not that we would want to- i wonder how long it will take to get here. prob awhile

Partho- BTD
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

"like suddenly having 256 notes of polyphony"
Technicaly it could with a process of current voice polophony and realtime resampling or interopalation between voices.
"i wonder how long it will take to get here. prob awhile"
i heared official availabilty and distrubution is end of feb begining of march.

Results not Excuses

QuinnX universal tranlator below:-
(lets not be misunderstood)

!!!!!! ephasis not anger
!!?? confusion or Stupidity
ABC are you getting the point
&*$% Anger (but rarely seen)
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

Hi all,

Maybe some idea :

I have this OS 2.0 installed on my X8 now. Together Roland did a MOBO upgrade (mine was dating from may 2004).

cost : 100eur.

This upgrade card is only required to install it on the fantomx, afterwards you don't need it to boot up or whatever.

- Additional bank I : (128 patches)

-Possible to select samples from the patch list also :
- Additional User Sample bank (USAM) : 1-2000
- Additional Card Sample bank (CSAM) : 1-7000
- And ofcourse this 8 track audio mixer.

- Adv. screen to edit/create multi samples.

at my bootup with OS2 (no samples in user memory)
- Memory user : 93,7 % free
- Sample memory : 100% free
- Card Memory : 98.9% free (256mb)
Karmafied

Post by Karmafied »

Another info with the upgrade, if youre a ex-Fantom S owner and like to use your old soundcard in the X 2.0 you can use it without problems except that the sound doesnt respond to the real time controllers and you need to re-assign this functions, but in other way you need to be carefull with the CREATE USER BACkUP funtion cause if youre using some samples in this old S archives the X 2.0 makes a real caos, the X automatically put the samples in the User Sample Bank or the Card sample Bank and convert them into a Multisample and youre patches/performances that use this sample data run in a really strange way.

Due this operation i think the USD and CSD banks are designed for receive the sendfiles of the Translator CD Rom or even for convert automatically some type of sample data into multisample sets, im not shure about this due (unfortunately) my X8 comes only with the Audio expansion track upgrade, but not with the CD roms, and i hope roland can send me the disk in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Be a musician, Be a poet, Be an artist, Be yourself, Improvise more, Flow like water (Jordan Rudess)