Roland Fantom X7 - Not working in Logic Pro X

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
vhkeyz

Roland Fantom X7 - Not working in Logic Pro X

Post by vhkeyz »

Hey guys,

I'm Victor and i'm a proud owner of a Roland Fantom x7 keyboard. A few weeks ago i tried using my Fantom X7 as a midi controller in Logic Pro X by using a USB A to USB B cable straight to my macbook. Once i plugged it i was hoping that straight away it will work but in this instance it didn't so i unplugged the cable and went on utility and then went to the midi section and turned it to USB and saved it. So i tried again and plugged the cable to the macbook and it didn't work. I checked Roland's website and their last midi drivers for Mac was 10/11 years ago and i was hoping that with newer macbooks and newer OSX the Fantom X would work straight away with Midi on Logic. I have a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro running on Mac OS 10.14 and have Logic Pro X 10.4.8.

Would love to have any help from anyone who owns a Fantom X and knows how to make it work in Logic Pro X

Thanks
Xeraser

Re: Roland Fantom X7 - Not working in Logic Pro X

Post by Xeraser »

That's not possible unfortunately, not without extra hardware. I tried doing the same in Mojave 10.14.6 but Roland's driver (which is necessary in this case as the Fantom-X isn't class-compliant) doesn't even install on Mavericks. It seems that the driver is exclusively for PowerPC-based machines.

I had to resort to using a virtual machine in order to use the Editor and native USB-MIDI/USB storage capabilities of my XR and even then installing the driver required disabling the driver signature checks first otherwise the installer would never go past a certain point.

The cheapest way to get MIDI to work would be a MIDI to USB adapter and the cheapest I found (that actually works with SysEx messages) is the Roland UM-ONE (I bought the MK1 model for 20 bucks years ago)
I tried a few of those cheap chinese ones and they were only good enough to send basic note on/off messages. Sending SysEx and long MIDI messages (eg preset data) didn't work whatsoever even for something as simple as Korg M1 factory presets.