What's the biggest CF card the Fantom-X(R) recognizes?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Xeraser

What's the biggest CF card the Fantom-X(R) recognizes?

Post by Xeraser »

I got a repository of old S7xx series libraries and after finally getting the official S7xx to Fantom-X converter to work I've been trying to figure out what size of CF card the Fantom will read. I've read that people got 4gb cards to work but what about bigger ones? Komputerbay sells some big (64gb 1050x) and relatively cheap cards on Amazon and I'm very tempted but I have no idea whether they'll work or not. Does the card's speed also matter when it comes to compatibility?

Thanks in advance.
Xeraser

Re: What's the biggest CF card the Fantom-X(R) recognizes?

Post by Xeraser »

Got a 32GB 1066x card and it seems to work fine for now.
Xeraser

Post by Xeraser »

Update: on an empty card the XR shows the full capacity of 32gb correctly but even though it's completely empty it'll still show that only ~60% is empty. Odd.
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

I've got a Transcend 4gb compact flash card and in most respects such as importing audio and samples etc it appears to work fine. However if I try to make a "User Backup" it fails with a "Card Area Full! Press (EXIT)" message. Prior to this I formatted the card and that worked fine. Could it be that CF card is too large? Has anyone else had a similar experience. I also have a Maxell 128mb CF card which after formatting works fine when making a "User Backup".
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

To test if the Transcend 4gb compact flash was too big as detailed in my previous post I re-partitioned it to have a first partition of just less than 1gb and guess what? I was able to do a user backup with no problems. In conclusion I think a 4gb card is too big to be fully useable. To be sure, I returned the CF card to it's original format using the Fantom XR's own "format card" operation which returned the card to the full 4gb Fat32 format.