Backlight on screen gone on fantom x7

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Firedance1978.

Backlight on screen gone on fantom x7

Post by Firedance1978. »

Hi Guys.
Is there anyone has the same problem, that the backlight of the fantom x7 screen is gone? Very hard to see anything on it. Very annoying stuff. I have checked the connections but iylt seems to be okay. Everything works except of the backlight Any ideas/solution please?
Luc

Re: Backlight on screen gone on fantom x7

Post by Luc »

Does it change brightness when turning the 'LCD Contrast'? If it does, then could be known common issue with the Fantom X LCD screen going very dark after few years due to the voltage inverter board going bad (easy to replace using part 2148 Inverter board Roland). However if it's only backlight then not sure. You may need to replace the backlight but definitely tough to disassemble the screen.
Firedance1978.

Post by Firedance1978. »

Hi Luc.
Thanks for your reply and concern.
I did turn the LCD contrast of course but it does the job.. unfortunately the backlight gone so it is very hard to see anything on it even in lights.I took it to a service here, but I got back in worst condition ( they didn't even plug back the screen, so it was completely dark) I nearly got heart-attack, but than I disassembled myself and plug back.. so the screen works, but still no backlight whatsoever..I don't know where is backlight placed.. I am not really familiar with these sensitive stuff..:(
mostinif

Post by mostinif »

Hi!
Firedance1978. wrote: 14:13, 12 April 2023
I did turn the LCD contrast of course but it does the job.. unfortunately the backlight gone so it is very hard to see anything on it even in lights.I took it to a service here, but I got back in worst condition ( they didn't even plug back the screen, so it was completely dark) I nearly got heart-attack, but than I disassembled myself and plug back.. so the screen works, but still no backlight whatsoever..I don't know where is backlight placed.. I am not really familiar with these sensitive stuff..:(
This model uses a LCD display with a special fluorescent light called CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light) This kind of lamps "ages" and then stop work. The LCD screen is ok but without this light, nothing could be seen. I saw time ago, how to change this lamp in this forum.

The other "way" is replacing the screen ($$) https://syntaur.com/keyboard.php?keyboa ... antom%20X7

This place has original Roland parts and they are very good and technically strong.

Best regards,
Flavio
Firedance1978.

Post by Firedance1978. »

Hi Flavio
Thank you so much for the help. Really appreciate it.
Will try to get the part at first and trying to fix. If that doesn't work for me, than I get a new screen. Thanks again
Best Regards
Tamas
jvoyantz

Post by jvoyantz »

Hi to all!
I Had this problem in my beloved x7, and it hapenw when the weather is cold or it's not powered on for a long time.I read somewhere, that if you heat the screen with a hairdryer, or something like that, after a while it's workin.So i tried and... it worked.(you have to wait a little for the heat to reach the lamp inside). Give it a try... !!!