'Card not ready!' Fantom X6

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
BiggJazza

'Card not ready!' Fantom X6

Post by BiggJazza »

So I've returned to my X6 after a few years non use. Things seem to be functioning ok, except the card reader. Whenever I try load a song from there or a sample therein, I get the message 'Card not ready!'

Now I've searched this forum for similar experiences, none giving me the answer.

What I've tried - all resulting in the same error message - 'Card not ready!';

1) Using the internal card formatter to reformat the card & start again from empty.

2) Copied backup files from old iMac to CF card. While the card is read & write able on the iMac, I get the same issue when trying to load samples and / or songs from the card. Then tried 1.

The CF card is read by the iMac with the adapter attached so I'm thinking they're not in error.

Any idea what the issue may be with the internal Fantom card reader then please. Prospective costs if a fix is suggested.

tia.

Regards, Jazza
BiggJazza

Re: 'Card not ready!' Fantom X6

Post by BiggJazza »

Should probably have added, from the System menu I'm running v2.0, 32Mb SDRam with 512Mb Dimm. On Memory info, it alleges there's no card despite it being in the slot & clicked - right way up - as per usual.
BiggJazza

Post by BiggJazza »

Looking more like an internal Fantom error with the card reader. I found my Audio expansion CF and adapter & that wasn't recognised at boot up (unless I suppose it skips it because it's already installed!).

Anyhow, I'm out of things to try. Hopefully I can glean some insight from you guys & gals.
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi BigJazza. Out of interest what is the size of your Compact Flash card. I ask because in my Fantom XR I found that I couldn't make a "User Backup" with a 4GB card due to the card being too large. To solve I changed the size of the partition on the card down to 1GB and strangely the "User Backup" became available. Like you say the issue with the Sample Tools Expansion not loading because the card already recognises the update has been applied may be valid but maybe a kind user will be able to confirm this behaviour.
BiggJazza

Post by BiggJazza »

It's only a 512Mb CF Card. I'm of the opinion something is wrong with the card reader as I found the Test Mode routines in the Fantom Service Manual which checks through the entire keyboard - switches, lights the full gamut. It passed on everything bar Test 6 - the Card Reader :-(

Roland not much help thus far, need to find a Service Centre next I think.

Yes, if someone could verify the Audio Expansion piece that would be nice. Thanks for your reply.