Fantom X6 MIDI / Dynamic Pads

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
CBJr.

Fantom X6 MIDI / Dynamic Pads

Post by CBJr. »

Hello!

I recently acquired a Roland Fantom X6 and I absolutely love it! I do have a question about MIDI channels in performances if anyone happens to have an answer for me. I'd like to use my old Nord Piano 2 to control performances on the X6. Since it only transmits one MIDI channel at a time, I've figured out how to change all the voices in the performance on the X6 to receive MIDI channel 1 for example, however, I'm unable to control the individual volumes of the voices in the performance using the knobs (they all move simultaneously).

I read on an older/closed forum thread that you could have two performances: one with all sounds on one MIDI channel, and one with each on their own so they can be adjusted, and use the dynamic pads with "SysEx messages" to switch between the performances in order to adjust the individual sounds.

Would this be the best way to accomplish it, and if so, how in the world do I do it 😂? This is my first Roland keyboard so please forgive me, I'm still trying to learn how it works. If anyone could give me some insight or an answer, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!
- Chris