Fantom X8 Choppy Audio Track Playback + More

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Fantom Muchentuchen

Fantom X8 Choppy Audio Track Playback + More

Post by Fantom Muchentuchen »

Hi Roland fam,

I am in the process of bringing my Roland Fantom X8, purchased 2004, back to life. I'm having a specific issue with the audio tracks playing back and recording with a choppy and distorted sound over them.

I did the ram upgrade, CF card addition and software upgrade probably in 2006. Recently I repaired 20 of the buttons, so I was able to access the audio tracks I had on the user card.

When played back on the synth, they are all choppy. When exported though USB they are all fine, playing on another computer.

I recorded a new audio track from midi, playing piano, and that played back choppy in the synth. When exported, this was also choppy, unlike the old wavs that were sitting on the card.

I was surprised by this, and assumed previously that the CF card had just gone bad, or data rot had occurred. Turns out those old tracks (19 years old some of them) are all ok.

What's next for me to try?

I was thinking of re-installing the firmware - but will I lose the midi songs that I recorded in the past? If so, any way to save these?

Maybe it's the ram installed in the expansion bay?

I have taken this apart a few times recently to re-solder the buttons. Ordered more and am going to do every small button. All dials are working well.

What would you try to rectify this issue? What do you think it could be?

I know I'm writing this in 2023, so hopefully there are still Fantom X8 users on here, lol

Thank you so much!!

Best,
Paul