Fantom-XR VST not required

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
vsyn7425

Fantom-XR VST not required

Post by vsyn7425 »

When choosing a roland midi module I looked towards the Sonic Cell over the Fantom-XR because it had a standalone and more importantly a VST editor. I thought the VST editor would be able to control the parameters of the Sonic Cell via cubase while playing live. Unfortunately this didn't work because when selecting the VST editor it did not transmit any midi note data so I could not hear what I was editing. It would be fine once I had created some midi notes and was playing the track back but I wanted to edit the patch before I recorded it.

What I eventually found was that I could use the Standalone editor with all the midi inputs and outputs set to the Sonic Cell, then create a midi track in cubase pointing to the Sonic Cell also. This way I could trigger a note in Cubase and also edit the Sonic Cell in realtime. Cool eh?

Then I thought could the same scenario be replicated for the Fantom-XR and yes it can. Just set all the Fantom-XR inputs and outputs to the Fantom-XR and then create a track in Cubase and also route that to the Fantom-XR. Sorted.