Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
lazeeboy

Re: Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Post by lazeeboy »

Hi HowerdS,

indeed the currently selected part acts as if the kb switch is turned on. There are serveral workarounds:

- turn off the rx switch for the part you don't wish to sound (in fact preventing midi data from reaching that part). Turning on/off the rx switches is at the heart of template.svq's functionality

- create a patch with none of the 4 partials turned on. A sort of mute/dummy patch if you will. This patch won't use up any polyphony (I don't use this approach, but it might be useful in some cases when using external gear because turning off the rx switch also turnes off the nonexistent tx switch if I'm not mistaken)

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Goodiebag: { Live 2.0(svq, doc) | Vilter Pads(svq) | RPS Status(zip) | XV5080(zip) | Fantom X + V-synth | mp3 }
Remnant

i am a new fantom x8

Post by Remnant »

I just bought a new fantom X8 and it's amazing but I don't know half the functions yet! There's just one thing i would really desperately like to kno. I'm pretty sure everybody else knows it so would someone please help me?

I kno that I can mix the patches and put them in different layers to play them all at the same time, but once I arrange it the way I want it, how do I save it?

Right now, it just says user template and I'm just changing it there and I got a mixture that I really like but I have to go through all the steps on that user template whenever I want to play it. Thank you alll
Still Learning

Post by Still Learning »

Hi Remnant, welcome....

I remember when I first got my X8 home, that was a fun day, congratulations on your new workstation and on finding this valuable website.

to save a performance once you have it tweaked the way you like it. simply write it using the write button located just under the LCD contrast adjuster to the right of the LCD screen. Select performance, type in a name (12 characters max.) and hit write which is the F8 button, then select where you want to save the performance (either user area or card (if you have a storage card installed)) and hit the write button one final time.

That should do it.

Now you can power-down your X8 and that performance will be ready for you to call up using the performance list button (F5) on the performance menu the next time you want it.

Happy New Year!!

---------------------------
When most people go to work they work. When musicians go to work they play. Which do you prefer?
Remnant

Post by Remnant »

Hi Still Learning

Thank you very much. now I don't have to go through the agony of making that performance everytime
drh

Post by drh »

Hi lazeeboy,

I see this thread has been going or some time (!), which I think reflects its usefulness.

I want to let you know that I appreciate your dedication not only in the original work you did (which was awesome in itself) but also in supporting others since then.

May you live long and prosper!
chris2080

Post by chris2080 »

hello,

i read this thread with much interest and thanks to all people, who communicate those tricky information with other roland users, who doesnt have so much knowledge about these gears (like me :-) ).

So i have one question, this whole thread with the sound switching thing via sysex and rps-pattern, brings me to the idea: is it possible to programm the pads that you can switch on and off (the receive function) a sound with one button. i think it should be similar to the "mute/solo" function in the mixer, but with the difference that you switch between receive on and off. that would bring me many advantages by playing live (switching with layer sounds).

i have modified the template.svq from lazeeboy so, that i turn on the receive for the wanted sound/part, but i cant turn the receive off with the same button.
Has anyone an idea?

Best regards
chris
SonicMan

Post by SonicMan »

lazeeboy you're amazing..
Good Work here in the forum.
How did you learn SysEx programing and using midi msgs?
I prefer learning what am i doing instead of copy it from you.
The manual doesn't give enough info about midi msgs and i know it helps alot with performing live which is a great issue for a keyboardist.

------------------------------------------
Fantom X8
takrl

Tutorial...

Post by takrl »

Hi everyone,

got my new X8 ten days ago. Found this forum rather quickly, and decided this tutorial was - almost - exactly what I needed.

When I tried it, first time it didn't work, I only ever got the strings to sound no matter which pads I pressed.

When I went through it a second time, it worked as described. So thanks for that.

I'll try it again a few times, maybe I'll find the catch that made it not work the first time. If so, I'll post...

Cheers

Michael
ctimmerman

Give me more. Give me more.

Post by ctimmerman »

lazeeboy,
First. Kudos on the RPS part switching. After two years with my Fantom, I finally started using that a few weeks ago and it works great. I just keep the template file in the Fantom at all times, and I have the instruction "book" always handy if I need to refer to it.

Second. Can you expand on this to include more switching options. One that I am interested in is changing the fine tuning of a part or parts in the same manner. I've tried looking through the MIDI Implementation section to find the sysex messages, but it's rather confusing.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Carl
Fantom X8, SRX-06, Mackie DFX-6, Peavey KB/A 50
ctimmerman

I Can't Believe How Easy That Was

Post by ctimmerman »

Well.
I decided to go back and look at this again, and try something again that I'm sure I've tried before and it didn't work. I press record and go in and change the fine tuning of a part. Low and behold, when I look at the Micro Edit, there it is. The system exclusive message to do what I just did. I'm sure I had tried that before and got nothing. Must have had the Receive SysEx turned off in the system settings the last time. So, I re-set the fine tune back to zero and run the sequence and guess what? That's right friends and neighbors. It changed the tuning just like advertised. This opens up some whole new possiblities for me.

Thanks for the Live Sound Switching tutorial which gave me the inspiration to persue this.

I LOVE MY FANTOM

Carl
Fantom X8, SRX-06, Mackie DFX-6, Peavey KB/A 50
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Hi Laurenz,

just got to the point of using your live setting ideas as well: after the first months of Fantom X7 use I finally grasped how essential they are.

First many thanks to you like from many others: your template and tutiroal saved my day for using the FantomX live! Just checked the tutorial settings and all worked fine.

One question:

- somewhere in the long thread here someone mentioned to use 50 instead of 20 at a certain digit in the sysex messages. I used template.svq and followed the tutorial and switching between your examples (pinao and strings) went fine with 20.

Many thanks again...
chanders

Nice

Post by chanders »

I think its great you have shared this info for all! I have been using this method back in the day with my XP-50.

The good thing about the XP though is that you could have chosen MIDI RX and by pressing one of the function keys (8 in all) you could select the 'Part' in the 'Performance' that you wanted to TX on.

Is there a way that you can do it (graphically/using the 8 buttons) on the Fantom? I'm not in front of it now but that would be cool to leave the pads for other cool uses ;-)

Just by looking at the pad trigger with the D-Beam I can see the programmer in you !!

Great stuff again..
rich_funk

Post by rich_funk »

Hi.

Im using your template.svq file for turning parts on/off. All is working fine..apart from:

I have each pattern assigned to a midi pedal. pattern 1, 3 and 4 work fine. But when i press pattern two it occasionally changes the 'part release time offset' values for all parts.

I cannot understand why this is only happening with pattern 2, as it all looks the same, and all my pedals are set up the same..just a simple send note on trigger.

Do you know what is causing this?

Thanks
Rich
rich_funk

Post by rich_funk »

...sorry..ignore that. I had a problem on my midi pedal. Not the svq file!
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Hi Laurenz,

I use a VOCE V+ B3 clone as external device with my Fantom X7.

While in standard Performance mode it is no problem for me to use one or two (split manual with two sounds) midi channels for triggering this external device , I always get both the organ and other sounds sounding together in your Live switching setup.

Any clue what the problem might be?