Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
lazeeboy

Re: Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Post by lazeeboy »

Wow, people keep posting to this thread. Sorry I've not been around lately. The thing is I quit my band and really don't use my Fantom as much as I used to.

Anyway Jimknopf. The Live switching tutorial is not intended for use with external gear. The Fantom lacks certain functionality to effectively layer external gear IMO. But if you don't want the Fantom to sound on the layer you assigned your external gear to just create a patch with no partials turned on so the Fantom won't sound.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Hi Laurenz,

tried the empty patch solution myself yesterday, but then suddenly I get midi latency and other problems (external organ sounding on all other patches although it is limited to channel 15; weird stuff showing the limited FX master keyboard funcionality: my old Roland A70 did a *much* better job at that).

Now my solution is very simple: I use an Access Virus TI keyboard on top of my Fantom and simply programmed a performance for the external organ clone there. Although the TI has even less masterkeyboard functionality than the Fantom, it works well this way, because the Fantom has to do the working horse jobs of providing the basic sounds with fast sound switching and the TI delivers nearly all of the additional synth jobs with just one more organ sound now.

But it is only your live setting idea and tutorial that has put me into good Fantom-X working mode within my band!!!

What I like most about this fast way of switching sounds within pieces is the fact that the old sound does not stop abruptly (like in Favourites) when then new one is switched on. You did a really great job of extremely high usabilty for many of us and I want to thank you again for that!

I wish you lots of good experiences with music, even if it has moved out of focus a bit in your present situation. It's been similar with me over some years, but music proved to be an irresistable source of joy in life, and despite hardly hoping to get there i finally got a good band together once more. Just to encourage you...
Dire Virtuoso

Post by Dire Virtuoso »

This really is the best topic posted so far in this forum that opens up an incredible number of possibilities with fantoms. ThanX A LOT Laurenz
rich_funk

Post by rich_funk »

is it possible to have the rps select a specific part in a performance..as i need part 11 selected in order for the assignable d-beam controller to function correctly,

Thanks
Rich
chikitin

Post by chikitin »

Link is dead!
korg1

Post by korg1 »

Hello,i have two questions: How can i switch between MFX1 MFX2 MFX3,in a performance using pads? i only managed to switch 2 mfx by putting them on assignable sw 1 and 2 .but the third one mfx still sounds.is there any tutorial step by step?

2) the same way i want either in patch or performance mode to make scale tunnings by applying to every patch a -50c.for example when pressing pad 13 i want to detune C -50
when pressing pad 14 i want to detune C# -50
when pressing pad 15 i want to detune D -50
and so on.

How can i do that?
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi Korg1,

Howard has just answered this question in the last couple of days.

The info has been added to the fantom X tips & tricks sticky thread.

Cheers
Andy
http://www.myspace.com/firegardensheffield
korg1

Post by korg1 »

I didn't make myself clear.....

Let's say,i have a rhodes sound made in performance mode.
in mfx1 i use speaker sim effect,in mfx2 i use tremolo effect and in mfx3 there is a phaser effect.I don't want them to sound all 3 mfx at the same time all the time.sometimes i want the sound direct,other with trem,other with phaser or with phaser and trem.
So ,what i need is 3 switches to turn each effect on and off whenever i want.
What i did is to assign mfx2 and mfx3 to assignable sw buttons sw1 and sw2.
But i still can't turn on/off the first mfx1. the only way is to assinge it to a realtime controller.any better idea?
howardS

Post by howardS »

korg1, have you tried to create an RPS pattern to accomplish this? You should be able to create patterns that turn on and off MFX1 and then assign those to pads or to the keyboard. If you are looking for a third assignable button then you wont find it so you will need to use RPS to create the workaround.

Also, with your second question I would again suggest creating RPS patterns that could edit the patch as needed. Then assign that to another pad. Now just assign the correct patch to the performance or select the patch and trigger the RPS pattern.

Me likes RPS patterns ;-) This is why I cannot get the G....for now.
korg1

Post by korg1 »

Thanks howardS ,i will give a try,although ihave to mess around with sysex from roland's sc55 age.
Hey guys,if you haven't seen my srx thread yet,take a look here,there are some gifts in there :

http://forums.rolandclan.info/index.php ... d=1&page=2
da-man

Post by da-man »

lazeeboy,

Just wanted to say thanks so much for your work in this area and your tutorial. It took me a while to get my head around it but now I am setting up templates by recording sys ex messages and a bit of copying and editing to set up the pads and keys on the keyboard to switch sounds on and off.

For live play it works sooooooo gooooood. I am loving rps, patterns and making this thing work seamlessly for live play.

So thank you soooooo much lazeeboy.
Synthister Nation

Post by Synthister Nation »

First of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has taking the time to provide the rest of us with "How to" information. I, like many others would be totally lost without your help. Yet again, I've come across a question I can't seem to find my own answer to...

I've been using the instructions provided and I have to say everything works great. It took awhile to figure it all out, but threw trial and error I got everything working fine when it comes to switching groups of patches in a performance. However I have ran into some trouble when I tried to record a drum track and play to the drums I've recorded while using the methods described. Threw step recording I've created rhythm on track 10(default). The problem arises when I hit the play button. Once it starts playing the drums are turned off. I've tried playing with the syntax but I've had no luck. How do I go about making sure the drums continue no matter what groups of patches I've switched between during the duration of the song.

Thanks! I look forward to your advice
da-man

Post by da-man »

Synthister Nation
the pads are set up to control the RX channel
Go to RX on your mixer screen
There you can see which channels are enabled or disabled by their ticks.
So you need to have the correct channel (10)ticked if you're playing a drum track.

I don't think there is any way around this. You'd have to resample your drum track and insert it as an audio track.

I ran into this exact thing when I first started using RPS live. I recorded an intro phrase and went to play overtop it but I had deselected the three parts that the phrase was recorded with and couldn't find a way around it.
ctimmerman

Post by ctimmerman »

I ran into the same problem while trying to switch sounds during a sequence. I solved the problem by making sure each pad I used with the sysex code not only turned on the parts I wanted to play, but did not turn off the tracks that were playing sequenced notes.
Synthister Nation

Post by Synthister Nation »

Da-Man, your idea works and is a simple solution. Thanks for the advise. That was what I'd end up doing if I couldn't find any solution. Ctimmerman, could you give an example of how you'd change the Syntax to play sequenced notes? That is basically the same thing I'm trying to do, right?