Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
ctimmerman

Re: Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Post by ctimmerman »

The original template has 16 sysex messages (one for each channel) on the first 16 patterns.

Lets assume you have your sequencer playing bass on track one and drums on track 10. You also want to switch between piano on track 2 and organ on track 3. If you recall from the tutorial, there is one part of the sysex message you change from 00 to 01 to turn on that track.
On one pattern, change that part of the message for track 1, 2, and 10. This would be for the piano.
On another pattern, change that part of the message for track 1, 3, and 10. This would be for the organ. Now assign those patterns to two pads using RPS and you are good to go.

Carl
Synthister Nation

Post by Synthister Nation »

I'll have to give that a try. Once I get around to finishing the drum track I'll mess with the syntax using the directions you provided. I'll let you know how it goes, but for right now I'm mentally drained with all this programming....
Andy Keys

Triggering RPS to switch sounds if you don't have a MIDI foo

Post by Andy Keys »

Hello,

This only works if your playing is fairly accurate! If you're a bit sloppy in hitting the keys this will be fraught with danger :o)

Attach an RPS phrase to a key next to a key you will be playing, but isn't one you will actually use. That way you can just hit that extra key without moving your hands far and get your sound set changed on the spot.
For example, you're holding a big A major chord and need to change your strings for a massive organ. Attach the RPS phrase to the D note, so it's easily playable when your hand is already in position.

Obviously, you'll have to tweak the Performance so that the key you are using won't sound a note that will clash. This might mean having one or more sounds doubled up with key ranges set to miss out that one note.

Hope this helps someone.
Cheers
Andy
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

To the mods: any chance of this thread being made a sticky again, please?

It's one of the most useful on here, to me at least. :o)

Thanks
Andy
Andy Keys

RPS using Pads as Switches

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi,

I'm struggling to make the Pads work as switches via RPS.

As a basic start, say I want to use Pads 1, 2 and 3 to switch OFF MFX 1, 2 and 3 via RPS. In the Performance, the default state of all MFXs is ON.

So far, so easy, so good, but how do I make it so that if I press the pad again, it will switch the MFX back on?

Any ideas?
cheers
Andy
da-man

Post by da-man »

wouldn't you just record the sys ex commands when you turn them on?
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Yeah, storing the SysEx code isn't the problem. The bit I'm struggling with is making the pad work as an on/off switch.
da-man

Post by da-man »

ok I see what you're saying now.

No you can't use a single pad as an on and off switch.

One pad can be on and one can be off.

I've made a few templates for patches. One template had Pad 1 turn the sound on and Pad 2 turn it off. Pad three turn another sound on and Pad 4 turn it off.

Then I decided to have all 16 pads turn on 16 different sounds individually and use my bottom black key (x8) to turn off all (the rx channels). I have a few other keys top and bottom few that turn on multiple patches at once for bigger choruses.

Hope that helps.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Andy, you cant use RPS as a switch. You need one pattern to turn it on and one to turn it off. You can use various external devices as a switch though. My FCB1010 allows you to assign choose two CC values and then will toggle these two values as you hit that pedal. I don't know if you can turn on and off an MFX with a CC though as I think you need to send a sysex command.

Also, I also wanted this thread to be a sticky but since it wasn't I just added it to the tips and tricks thread so you can access it quickly from there.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Thanks Howard. I was beginning to suspect that might be the case.

Da-man - I'd not considered using the keys as well. I'll have a think about how I might use them in this scenario.

Back to the drawingboard for my pads setup, then. :o)

Cheers
Andy
shakil

Post by shakil »

howardS

If you can link Dry/Wet or Send level to MFX with a CC, then you can send values 0 and 127 for off/on from the external MIDI switch....
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

Still a hot topic so now it's hot AND sticky again; how 'bout that!

BTW I don't have an X anymore; I upgraded/downgraded to a G (matter of perspective so don't start).

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

You'll always be the RPS King to us, though, whatever you choose to ply your trade on :o)
da-man

Post by da-man »

Hey Lazeeboy,

Good to hear from you. I'm still impressed with how you worked this out. It is something I depend on when I play live. I never could have figured out how to program seamless live sound switching without your ingenuity.

So thanks.
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

Thanks Da-Man,

At the moment I'm doing some RPS stuff in the Fantom G which unfortunately isn't as flexible as the X with its SVQ's but there's bound to be a good workaround; if so I'll post it in the G's forum.

Regards,
Laurenz