Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
lazeeboy

Re: Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Post by lazeeboy »

No, I don't think so. None of the RPS settings are sysex-able as far as I know.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

howardS

RPS - Turning Parts on and off

Post by howardS »

Hi Laurenz,

I am trying to follow your sysex codes to turn on and off certain parts of my performance on my X6 as you describe at the begining of this thread but it doesnt seem to work. By looking around at other sysex commands I found that by using 50 - 5F instead of 20 - 2F for Parts 1 - 16 I was able to get it to work.

So to turn on part 15 I could not use:
F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 2E 01 01 CS F7

I had to use:
F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 5E 01 01 CS F7

Is it that the old sysex doesnt work with the current version of the Fantom software or is something else wrong here?

Thanks
Howard

EDIT: Ok, it appears that I was turning on and off the "KB" Keyboard Switch from the Level Pan tab whereas you were turning on and off the "Rx" Receive Switch from the External Tab. They both had a similar effect in this application.
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

I probable made the mistake when comitting the sysex code to paper right before posting it here, because I don't have a PC near my Fantom. Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know that by recording the changes you want you also get the sysex code?

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

Ettinger

Post by Ettinger »

Hi Laurenz,
I've been using your template.svq file for a couple of months.It´s great. It turns Fantom x into an useful machine.Have you figure out any way of saving the RPS button on?
regards
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

Yes I have! Recently by accident I got a hold of an SVQ with the RPS status turned ON. I started a thread in which I posted a batch file that can convert your existing SVQ's to ones with RPS turned ON! The only drawback being that it can only be done using a PC (Windows 2000/XP), so you can't save the RPS status using just your Fantom, because that's actually an unfixed vexing bug.

So go check it out man and be quick about it!

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

howardS

Post by howardS »

Thanks, Laurenz.
I have read most of this thread and had seen from jcthemc's earlier post on May 19 2005 that this was a shortcut....excellent. Thank you both. It is exciting to read through this thread and to think of the possibilities available by using RPS which will enhance a live performance. Thank you for your help.

I was also thinking about the functions for which we cannot find the sysex commands that are discussed in various places throughout this thread. This has got to be documented somewhere within Roland, if they would only share it with us....please (are they listening? I know this site has been visited by them). I am sure you are trying various hacking methods to figure out these codes. It may be that we will need to figure out some trick for exposing these codes like the way you figured out the MFX sysex codes (setting the MFX how you like it, changing effect, turning on record and then changing back to the one you want to record).

Again, thanks for your help.

Howard
howardS

Changing Key Ranges (Splits) with Sysex

Post by howardS »

I was reading through the post from May 19 2005 from Laurenz and he said:

"The Keyboard Range sysex addresses are on Page 316 (Performance Zone) of your Owner's Manual (Fantom X).
Lower: 00 0C
Upper: 00 0D

Add these addresses to 10 00 00 00 (page 311) which is the Temporary Performance's address and add this to 00 50 00 which is the address of the Performance Zone of Part 1 (Page 311)."

I wanted to understand the way the manual lays this out so I followed that but then the post gives us this table to show how they are strung together:

~so Lower is:
10 00 00 00
(00)00 50 00
(00 00)00 0C
-----------------
10 00 50 0C

Laurenz appears to have added the "(00)" to help allign all 3 addresses to create this combined address of 10 00 50 0C. Can anyone further explain where we get that from? Is it because in the manual it seems to leave room for 4 collumns and alligns the collumns that way? It also appears that when we "add" the columns to come up with a final address we ignore the 00 if something else in that column has a value. Is that correct?

Then I guess I need to figure out which commands can be combined in this way. Can anyone give me some direction with that as well.

Thanks
Howard
sas123

i am new fantomx6

Post by sas123 »

i
thank you
sas123

scale tune

Post by sas123 »

i look in the book for scale tune page 329 fantom x6
and i code sysex
fo 41 10 42 12 40 .........76 f7 and it's work but if
i transposed to c# all sacle not like c#
how can i fix it
thank you
Spo Elman

Doing program change without typing anything

Post by Spo Elman »

Hi there,. Lazee as I am, i searched for a quick way programming these pads. By reading one of the messages i found out thatyou can change program number without typing
go to song edit --> pattern mode --> record, 2 measures in fornt --> select whatever i want too change --> voila

maybe it works for other things too?
eddy awada

RE: Scale tune

Post by eddy awada »

Do not use the assignable switches to transpose, otherwise you will run into that problem you mentioned.

In order for the detuned notes not to shift, you need to transpose the keyboard from the main MENU by going into Menu/System/Sound page
xzased

Post by xzased »

DUDES... this should be a sticky or something...
howardS

kbd select and highlighted part question

Post by howardS »

Great suggestion, xzased, this absolutely should be a sticky.

I have one problem though with the part select that I cannot figure out. I use RPS to turn on and off various parts however part one will always sound when the song is loaded even after I set the kbd to off using these RPS patterns.

When you have a part selected in part view or mixer view then it will sound whether or not the kbd select is on or is off. When you load a song the default selected part is always part 1. This means that you always have part one playing regardless of whether or not you have it checked on the kbd select page when in part view.

I have worked around this by either checking the mute switch so I don’t hear what is being played on part 1 and then setting it to solo so that I don’t lose much in the way of polyphony or by setting it to a sound that I generally want to have playing when I load the song.

Does anyone know whether there is a setting that will make it so that the part selected doesn’t play when you are playing the keyboard and you have highlighted or you are on the part unless the kbd select has also been checked?
jcthemc

Post by jcthemc »

i normally send a 0 volume cc or a 127 volume cc to fix this problem

JC THE MC...
Fantom X6 2.10,Traction 2.0,Sound Forge 8,Acid 4.0,Mackie Onyx /w firwire option, Kliptch Pro media monitors, sennheiser hd 280 pro headphones
howardS

Post by howardS »

Hey JC, the way you suggested still uses voices even though a sound isnt being generated. I tried setting the tones within the patch on Part 1 to off and checked the Voice Monitor. It seems that if you shut the tones then no voices are used on that part. I was hoping there was another way within the system settings but perhaps these workarounds are the only way to do this.

Thanks.