Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
lazeeboy

Re: Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Post by lazeeboy »

Why won't you make a nice SVQ and post it; I could provide the webspace. Just mail me (see my profile for email address).

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

jcthemc: Roll speeds and/or pad setup change using sysex: still waiting ...

Regards,
Laurenz
lazeeboy

Using the D-Beam to trigger Sysex

Post by lazeeboy »

I just made the discovery that this was possible. When you have turned on RPS you can use the D-Beam Pad Trigger to trigger a pattern in stead of Rhythm Notes. I immediately started thinking what it could be used for: a whole friggin' lot!!!

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to trigger stuff with your left hand and let your right hand, which in my case is my dominant hand, keep on playing?

The solution I came up with at the very beginning of this thread can be extended to allow you to make the switch using the D-Beam controller. In the Patterns assigned to the Pads I added a sysex message (at the start) to set the D-Beam Pad Trigger pad number to the next pad and thus you control the structure of a song/medley with a wave of your hand in stead of using your left hand awkwardly crossing your right hand. A wave in the general direction ought to be enough.

So Pattern 1:
Set Pad Trigger to Pad 2: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 01 CS F7
Do some configuration

Pattern 2:
Set Pad Trigger to Pad 3: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 02 CS F7
Do some configuration

Pattern 3:
Set Pad Trigger to Pad 1: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 00 CS F7
Do some configuration

You can now cycle through the different sections by friendly waving to the crowd.

Why don't you just load this file to see/hear what I'm talking about.

Remember to activate:
[MENU]->System->Midi->Receive->Receive Exclusive = ON
and
[RPS]

for this example to work.

Also [Pad Trigger] in the D-Beam section has to be turned ON. however, this status is saved with the SVQ unlike the [RPS] status, *snif*.

Also I added some sysex code in each pattern (at the end) which changes the name of the Temporary Performance. This way you can see in what part of the song you are. You have to be in Layer/Split mode to be able to see this happening though.

The sysex messages for the D-Beam Pad Trigger pad number changes are these:
Pad 1: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 00 CS F7
Pad 2: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 01 CS F7
Pad 16:F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 0F CS F7

CS stands for Check Sum and is automatically generated for you if you have turned on AutoSum in Micro Edit mode.

Have fun,
Laurenz Nitert
facchio84

Post by facchio84 »

Great!!!!!! You are a great lazeeboy.With this trick we can create a lot of crazy stuff in live play.
You have added (...with mine little inspiration...) new amazing features to Fantom X!!

Yeeess...(...i'm going to buy my Fantom X 8...now!)
facchio84

Post by facchio84 »

I'm waiting for the Organ Leslie demo.
Thanks a lot, bye.
lazeeboy

Using the D-Beam to Toggle Modulation

Post by lazeeboy »

Welcome to another episode of ... ;-)

First of all thanks to facchio84 who's idea inspired me to this nice trick.

With no further ado here's the example. Remember to turn on RPS after loading the file and turning ON Menu->System->Receive->Receive Exclusive.

This example uses 2 patterns assigned to Pad 1 and Pad 2 respectively.

From the start the D-Beam Pad Trigger is set to Pad 2. When you move your hand over the D-Beam Pattern 2 is run which turnes ON the modulation and sets the D-Beam Pad Trigger to Pad 1. When next you move your hand over the D-Beam controller pattern 1 is fired which turnes OFF the modulation and sets the D-Beam Pad Trigger to Pad 2 again. This way the modulation can be toggled using the D-Beam controller.

Pattern 1
Modulation is turned OFF: CC01, Value = 0
D-Beam Pad Trigger is set to Pad 2: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 01 CS F7

Pattern 2
Modulation is turned ON: CC01, Value = 127
D-Beam Pad Trigger is set to Pad 1: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 00 CS F7

The sysex messages for the D-Beam Pad Trigger pad number changes are these:
Pad 1: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 00 CS F7
Pad 2: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 01 CS F7
Pad 16:F0 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 60 04 0F CS F7

CS stands for Check Sum and is automatically generated for you if you have turned on AutoSum in Micro Edit mode.

===================================================
BTW: ALMOST ANYTHING CAN BE TOGGLED USING THE D-BEAM THIS WAY !!!!
===================================================

So, if you need anything toggled just lemme know.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert
jake

Post by jake »

This would all be so cool if I did sysex and alphanumeric data checksum entry stuff, but I'm just a keyboard player. Now if I had a re-useable performance template with the numeric pads assigned per channel, so all I had to do was enter the patches I wanted in this performace template, save it, then turn whatever switch was needed on - I could just poke the pad I wanted for the part I wanted in the performance???

Now that would be something great, 'cuz I am a reaally good live player - heh heh - so my friends tell me, bless their little baby pink hearts! : )

jake
facchio84

Post by facchio84 »

Jake, you forget that a great player can be (must be!) a great key-programmer also. There are situations in whose we must control MFXs, parts and program changes ecc... in different modes: if i split the keyboard in two parts (Organ on the upper, Synth on the lower) and i must control Rotary Speaker (to do this DBeam is the fastest/easyest control in a live play)and the Overdrive for the organ, Wahah and Filters for the Synth (ecc...), i must have control in real time on all this functions.
Clearly, if you play without these necessities, "programming" is not a "necessity" for you...but you can't tell me that this thread is useless...(I think it's GREAT!!!!)
And also,i think that a keyboard player MUST(!!!) knows everything of his own keyboard and its capabilities(and this thread helps a lot to do that).
I think that this is the today's reality.

PS: Jake what is your gear? If you have a synth, you have made a mistake buying that!! Probably you must buy an electric piano:)
jake

Post by jake »

Hmm... is your reply on the verge of being insulting? Yes.

I wrote I hadn't reached the level of working with sysex, hexadecimal, checksum information yet. There was no implication by me this thread is "useless." It's a great thread and I understand the context of what's being discussed - I just can't do it myself yet. It's extremely time consuming as was mentioned and my time gets constumed with rehearsal and playing and writing. This doesn't mean I am unable to set up and play upper/lower/layered/zoned keyboards, work with the SRJV/SRX bank & program number info in my files, enter CC00, CC32, PC, filter, envelope, attack, decay, information to change/adjust settings of all the MFX and Chorus/Reverb and channels and mixers. I have my live perfomances set up with my own tweaked patches and would like to change them faster than the cursor arrows allow. I did sell my Arp and Oberheim and Moog synths some years back - not enough room onstage or in studio and too time-consuming with all the newer electronic gear like... say like MIDI instruments, or for instance, Fantoms and Motif's.

Not having reached the level of working with sysex and programming discussed in this thread in no way can arrive at the conclusion I consider it useless OR can't play a synth, and should be cofined to playing an electric piano. I have an X7 and an FA-76 midi'd to Nord Electro and Roland VK organ and electric piano modules, A33-37 76 key controllers with an XV-5080 running with MIDI Solutions Merger, Mapper, Router, Pedal boxes programmed to play my live performance setups. I can also sing, dance, and make merry fun all over the stage (old Frank Zappa line) - for the benefit of an audience.

Perhaps you would have a hard time playing my old Wurlitzer 200A and replacing/tuning a broken tine with one that's not quite the right size and tuning it with solder and jeweler's wax and a file by ear? Perhaps not, but I haven't insulted you by assuming you never could - and should therefore stick to an acoustic piano, hiring piano tuners to keep that sounding nice so you would at least be able to play a keyboard. People in ivory towers shouldn't throw stones?

I still think a template cued to the pads that patches could be entered in and tweaked is a good idea for those that aren't up to sysex yet. Very interesting thread, BTW : )

jake
facchio84

Post by facchio84 »

Jake, i had misunderstood your reply(because of my weak english), and i am been exaggerated. Scuse me. I don't want to insult anyone.
(yesterday was been a bad day for me).
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

Please no arguing in this thread; it's rather distracting ;-)

Faccio84 probably misunderstood and typed in a rash reply, but he's very enthusiastic which is what drives me here (let's not discuss this any further nkee?). He also came up with an excellent idea which I will incorporate in all my organ/leslie performances.

As for re-usable templates. This could be arranged (see below), but it's so much better if you understand the notions behind all this yourself as you will be able to custom-make you own performance/svq's and it will hopefully inspire you to develop your own solutions which you will hopefully share here ;-)

At the moment I don't have my Fantom with me so I cannot do this for you right now. You can give it a go by trying yourself. Just adjust my template.svq in the very beginning of this thread to meet your needs as follows:

- load it
- go to song mode
- pattern mode

- micro-edit pattern 1
- edit the 1st sysex event
- adjust 00 (3rd last byte) to 01

- micro-edit pattern 2
- edit 2nd sysex event

- micro-edit pattern 3
- edit 3rd sysex event

- micro-edit pattern 16
- edit 16th sysex event

In RPS setup:
- assign pattern 1 to pad 1
- assign pattern 2 to pad 2
- assign pattern 3 to pad 3
- assign pattern 16 to pad 16

- create your performance
- turn ON all the keyboard switches
- Save the song
- You've got your re-usable svq!!!

BTW this is a good exercise for anyone who wishes to learn how to do this. Good luck!

To switch the MFX's along with the parts you'll have to add some more sysex and you'll probably hear transition noises when switching. If however you work in a fixed order when playing the song/live performance, it is possible to smartly arrange the sysex's to minimize these noises. I'll give you a nudge in the right direction:

Pattern/Pad 1
- turn on part 1's receive switch (code is already there)
- turn off all the other receive switches (code is already there)
- mute MFX 2 (or not ;- dunno)
- set MFX 2's routing to part 2
- unmute MFX 2 (or not ;- dunno)

Pattern/Pad 2
- turn on part 2's receive switch (code is already there)
- mute MFX 1 (or not ;- dunno)
- set MFX 1's routing to part 3
- unmute MFX 1 (or not ;- dunno)

This method does NOT take into account the Reverb and Chorus. As there's only one Reverb and Chorus you cannot illiminate all transition noises (THIS CANNOT BE HELPED as it's a technical deficiency). You could choose to use the same Reverb/Chorus combo for all the parts or you could go ahead and re-route them along with the MFX as follows:

Pattern/Pad 1
- set Reverb's routing to Part 1
- set Chorus' routing to Part 1
- turn on part 1's receive switch (code is already there)
- mute MFX 2 (or not ;- dunno)
- set MFX 2's routing to part 2
- unmute MFX 2 (or not ;- dunno)

Pattern/Pad 2
- set Reverb's routing to Part 1
- set Chorus' routing to Part 1
- turn on part 2's receive switch (code is already there)
- mute MFX 1 (or not ;- dunno)
- set MFX 1's routing to part 3
- unmute MFX 1 (or not ;- dunno)

All you have to do now is figure out or record the sysex code for the above steps and micro edit your way to eternal bliss ;-)

Laurenz Nitert
Spo Elman

Post by Spo Elman »

i think it's time to bundle all the files concerning sysex and put them on the fantom site. (with a little description ofcourse).

I hope artemio and lazeeboy can find a way to do this?
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

As soon as Art's attachment feature works with old posts I will certainly attach them in zipped format for posterity's sake.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

PS Hey Spo, got anything to do this saturday/sunday?
Spo Elman

Post by Spo Elman »

ok, i hope artemio will make a SYS section for the files then (you made a sort of a manual, that would be usable for qiute a lot of users (not for me ofcourse, i know it all ;-) )

gotta perform fri/sat this weekend (and tennis), maybe next saturday afternoon?...
Kakaroto

Post by Kakaroto »

Hellloooooo:P
At last, I've got time to start learning this "programming".

First, I would like to thank you Lazeeboy..
Your persistence and studiousness, in adition to your will to help others who have the same problems is realy appreciated.
This method of changing parameters in real time is just great and beyond any of my previews expectations about the Fantom's options and features.
Although these methods are hard to make (I think) and for quite experienced owners, they just take the Fantom up one level, and although I don't know about similar methods on other boards (and brands) it seems that now you can do with the Fantom way more and more efficiently.

I heard that only Kurzweils can change sounds in a fraction of a second...Well, no more! hahaha:D
lol you don't know how satisfied I am now about my purchase of a Fantom X.

Next time someone asks about this frightening switching time, tell hime there IS a solution, and its right here. Also, as was already said, a well-prepared guide will be an awsome adition to the guides in this forum. After I'll learn some more, I'll be willing to contribute to the guide if you'll want.

Thx again Lazeeboy, and whoever helped to make this thread, these ideas, these explanations and these examples! I realy appreciate it. I think Roland should think about giving this method a bigger attention and emphasize it- for sellings and for costumers. (like more detailed explanations in the guide, and maybe even a program inside the Fantom that will do these things with ease and convenience)

Yours, Guy

A proud owner of a Fantom X8 !!
"Life is not a waffle" - G.a.b.a.b