Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
lazeeboy

Re: Fantom-X 2.0 live sound switching tutorial

Post by lazeeboy »

Luckily everything works now otherwise I would've been at a loss. Good luck with it and I hope you'll enjoy the full benifit it can give you. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask them in this thread (if it's related) or somewhere else on this forum.

BTW thanks for beta testing the file along with the tutorial.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

Ettinger

Post by Ettinger »

Hi Laurenz,
I have some svq files in which I recorded several tracks with musical phrases to be played as a sequencer. Is it possible to use your template patterns into this file that I’ve recorded with no patterns previously arranged?
regards
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

Yes, use the [Save/Load]->Load Song[F6]->Load Track[F7] feature and load PAT1 into PAT1. Repeat for the remaining patterns. Set the correct RPS settings and save.

The tracks you already have in your sequences will have to have the Rx switches turned ON in all your Patterns. So if you have a track with midi data on channels 1 and 2 and you want to make a pattern for switching sounds be sure to include all the part that have midi channels 1 and 2 in it. If you don't want the part from the sequencer to be played when you play the keyboard switch OFF the Kb switches for those parts.

There's only 1 "but". If the currently selected part has the Rx switch turned ON it WILL sound no matter the Kb switches' setting.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

Ettinger

Post by Ettinger »

Hi Laurenz,
Sorry, but I can’t understand the beginning. How can I copy the pattern 1 from your file to pattern 1 of a different svq file?
regards
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

Well, instead of loading an entire song, you load individual tracks/patterns into you currently loaded song. Set the source and destination parameters. Have a look at the manual too.

Good luck.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

Ettinger

Post by Ettinger »

I read the manual but I can't understand how can I copy the pattern from one file and paste it into another file. The window with source and destination is related to track/pattern only , it doesn't specify which file is the source and which file is the destination.How ca I do that? I read page 178 and could not find another page able to answer it.
regards
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

The destination file is the currently loaded file and the source file is the one you selected in the Song List; I don't see how I can be any clearer on that, sorry.

Good Luck again.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

Ettinger

Post by Ettinger »

Hi Laurenz,
thank you for your answer you are 100% clear. My problem is with the manual, it make me shivers. With your information , I finally could load all the patterns, it worked.
Now let's consider a different usage of your patterns for switching parts:
#I set up to play a sequence with 11 tracks recorded and 1 track mute so I can play the keyboard and no sound is heard from my playing#. To do this I have to let the Kb switchs off and the Rx switches on. @I tried to use your patterns to assign to a pad a configuration that switches some parts of the sequence for real playing, this is, I will stop using the sequencer and will really manually play the parts assigned to the pad@.But it doesn´t work cause the Kb switches are off. So, I ask you: Is there any way of changing between these 2 situations with the touch of a single button?
#situation 1#
@situation 2@
I hope I was clear ...
Looking forward to hearing from you
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

(Please don't double post again: I saw your message the first time, but I didn't have the time to answer you yet)

Well, if it means having the sysex code for turning ON the Kb switches included in the patterns as well, then yes! You'll just have to add those sysex messages to the patterns. In the fist pattern the sysex message would have a value of 00 assigned and in the second a value of 01, much like the sysex for switching the Rx switches.

Now, you don't have to look in the manual what the sysex messages for the Kb switches are, because you can record them. In fact, you can record (allmost) all edit data if you have set Menu->System->Midi->Transmit->Transmit Edit Data = ON. Now whenever you record a track/pattern you can also capture all editting that you're doing (Mixed mode/Patch Mode/even when you're editting a Patch). So the trick is finding out what to record. This is well outside the scope of the tutorial, but I'll point you in the right direction:

- First you need to find out which parts would have to have the KB switches turned ON and which OFF.(you can actually test this first and then write the parts down)
- Then go to mixer mode and find the page where the Kb switched are.
- Set the parts' Kb switches you want to switch to the value you don't want
- Hit Record and select an appopriate track/pattern to store your sysex.
- Start Recording
- Switch the parts' Kb switches to the values you DO want
- Stop Recording
- Copy/Move the sysex messages in the Pattern in you want the Kb switches to be switched
- Make sure the messages are at the very start of the pattern
- Repeat all steps for the other pattern

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

Ettinger

Post by Ettinger »

Hi Laurenz,
Sorry for that double post. I wasn’t sure if I had replied properly. Before posting again I tried to del the previous reply but it´s not possible. Anyway, I won’t do that again. Please accept my apologies for that.
About the problem: I didn’t succeeded. I’m a beginner and I have lot of questions about some steps of the procedure you advised me. But trying to do that I realised an easy way to tell you what I need for using the sequencer on stage. It’s a file similar to the template you made but instead of letting all the Kb switches on , I need to let all the Rx on and instead of assigning to the pads which Rx will be turned on/off I need to assign which Kb will be turned on.
I think that if this is possible , this would be the most complete template for switching parts alive, cause it could do all the tasks that your current template does plus the very useful usage with the sequencer.
So I ask you: could you develop such kind of template?
Thanks in advance
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

I'm sorry, but for me it's not that useful (I don't use the Fantom's sequencer live), so I'm not going to make a new template.svq.

I believe JCtheMC is able to make customized performance environments for you. See this thread for that.

You could try to do it yoursef though; it's a great learning exprerience!

BTW: I've briefly scanned the Midi Implementation in the back of the manual and I'm sorry to tell you that the KB switch is not mentioned as sysex-able setting. I'm gonna verify this soon and post my answer here.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

Apparently the KB switch IS sysexable! I checked and while I was at it filled your request of creating an adaptation of the template.svq: templ_kb.svq.

I'm such a pushover ;-) ... The tutorial works appr. the same.

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

Ettinger

Post by Ettinger »

Hi Laurenz,
The templ kb works perfectly.It can handle all live situations of your template + sequencer live usage.Thank you very much. Without your files the x6 is awful for playing alive.I think Roland should consider improving their system for live performers, at least it could save in svq files the RPS button on.
Fortunately we have people like you here, thank you once again.
Kind regards
lazeeboy

Post by lazeeboy »

You're welcome!

Regards,
Laurenz Nitert

jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

Assume you have patterns assign to a key C1. Is it possible with a sysex assigned to i.e. a PAD to have these pattern assignement for key C1 swithed off ?
thx