Card Area Full (bug)

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
MarkShovel

Backup

Post by MarkShovel »

Thanks for the heads-up.

I keep all of my original data on my PC and use the Compact Flash as my temporary/travel data base. I've got two Compact Flash cards with the exact same contents. That way, if somebody steals my CF card, or I loose it, I've got an immediate backup. I've always used the USB interface for file transfer with no issues.

The Sample data management is a new process that I now have to monitor more carefully.

Now that I have read the manual pages regarding the USB file transfer, I see that I have violated the rules.

Thanks everybody!

Mark
MarkShovel

Still get error message

Post by MarkShovel »

I did a Fantom format of the 96MB compact flash card. I still get the error message at this point:

sample: 532MB (96.1% free)
user: 30.5MB (95.5% free)
card: 73.5MB (78.4% free)

So do I go buy a bigger compact flash card and hope formore storage space?

Mark
bassman

Re: Card Area Full (bug)

Post by bassman »

I would definitely try a different card. There have been many instances reported here of similar problems that were resolved by getting a new card. Cards can go bad.

While you're at it, a larger size wouldn't hurt. Cards are going pretty cheap these days. Check stores like Office Depot, Office Max, and such. They have weekly sales on these things and the prices are excellent. That's where I got my 1 gig and 512meg cards and they have worked fine for over a year and a half. Lexar was the brand.

Bassman
MarkShovel

I'll buy the next round of drinks!

Post by MarkShovel »

I was only able to store 23MB of sample data on my 96MB compact flash card. I was able to store almost 32MB in the user memory.

So I bought a 2GB Lexar flash drive for $86US. Formatted the card in the Fantom and got 2000.5 MB of data capacity.

I now have over 60MB of sample data on the compact flash card and have not experienced the issue. I'll keep sampling and do not expect to have issues.

My first two multi-sample patches are awesome.

Thanks to everybody for the help. Thanks to Roland for a whole new experience with my favorite instrument (X8).

Mark
x8dummy

x8 writing samples

Post by x8dummy »

Bassman please help! I am trying to write samples on x8 and it says user and card full. How do I delete these files so I can srite. I am not interested in any old samples...thanks for your help. I suppose I go to file unitlity. Can you expand?..thanks again
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

what is the best method of backing up the contents of the flash card:
by transfering the entire root directory to your pc via usb and back
or
by removing the card and using a card reader?
bassman

Post by bassman »

x8dummy,

Yes, if you are deleting files you want to use the File Utility. But if you are just deleting samples only, press 'Sample List', select User or Card, then use the 'Mark Set' button to place a red check mark by each sample you want to delete.

Press Menu and scroll down to the 'Delete Sample' option and you're good. I'm not at my Fantom, but that should help you get rid of some samples. I'll check in later.
bassman

Post by bassman »

raccoon,

I simply transfer the 'Roland' folder to my computer for backing up the Card or Internal. I drag it back to restore the contents. The Roland folder holds your SVQ and Samples files, along with other stuff.

Done it a bunch of times and it works great.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

bassman,

i do this, too. my question is, do you do it without taking the card out - via usb?

some have suggested that you should remove the card and do these operations using a card reader, i don't know why
howardS

Post by howardS »

raccoon, I know you directed this to bassman but I will tell you my experience with this. Perhaps it will help you decide. I never have an issue using a card reader but I have had flash cards get messed up when I edit it using the Fantom in use USB storage mode. It should work properly but my experience is that it doesn't always work.

Also, the Fantom has an issue when you leave USB set to storage mode. When you do this I find it does not handle external controller data well. In order to avoid leaving the Fantom by mistake in storage mode I just edit the card on the computer by using a USB card reader or putting the whole adapter and card into the PMCIA slot on my laptop.

For both these reasons I wouldn't risk losing data on the card and would always recommend making your edits directly with a USB Card Reader or in the PMCIA slot.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

thanks for your answers

i recently suddenly lost all my work - my sd card was corrupted

i don't know exactly what did it, but that day i was chopping songs (.wav files) into shorter samples on my pc and importing them over. i ran the microsoft media player all day while keeping the keyboard in the usb storage mode. i have read in some threads that it was probably the media player that did it.
Mcjmetroid

Post by Mcjmetroid »

I realise this is an old thread. I got it from a link from another more recent thread.. but

This is effecting me. I read through the enitre thread and just need some confirmation on things..

I want to use re-sampling to get my svq songs onto my pc and in my opinion its the best way to get them there exactly as they are.. maybe im wrong?

but it only starts about 2 minutes.. I can svq songs to my 4gb kingston cf card no problem... but it wont let me do it with my samples?

Is there either a) anyway to re-sample directly to the card but B) split it into parts and then just write them to card?
mugur_clape

Post by mugur_clape »

I got it to work but only with a 1GB flash card. Before i had a 4GB one and it didn't want to work no mater what i tried. So if anyone still has this problem try this.
gdh

Post by gdh »

My 1gb card works fine, I've read where others use a 2gb card and it works fine as well.