A little advice on installing RAM and SmartMedia Card

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
FatBoyJim

A little advice on installing RAM and SmartMedia Card

Post by FatBoyJim »

The manual is of little help with this. In the manual on the page that explains how to install RAM it neglects to explain that for the RAM to be used and to show up in your Fantom-S you must set your Fantom-S up so it only can use 2 SRX Boards. The manual does explain this elsewhere but not here where it tells you the procedures to make sure that your RAM is installed correctly. To set up your Fantom-S to accept only 2 SRX Boards go to “Menu”, then go to “Startup,” then go to “SRX/RAM Mode,” and put it so there is 2 SRX/288 MB max, then press F8 to execute. I then had to restart my Fantom-S for it to show the changes and my correct installed RAM.

To format the SmartMedia Card the manual tells you to go to “Menu,” then to “Utility,” which is where the manual is wrong because you have to go to “File Utility,” then hit F3 “Card Format”

Sorry if this information is more of the “well duh” type of information and not of the “helpful” information that I hope it is as I am just trying to make life easier than the Fantom-S manual has. O-yeah, I am in no way responsible for the above information causing you any trouble, problems, explosions, etc.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: A little advice on installing RAM and SmartMedia Card

Post by Artemiy »

FatBoyJim, thanks very much for your tips.

I think from now I should start the "TIPS" section on my site and your notes will be the first to be included there. I hope next week I'll be done with this.

Thanks again and good luck!