Hammered Dulcimer

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
cdeerinck

Hammered Dulcimer

Post by cdeerinck »

Does anyone know where I can get a Hammered Dulcimer sound for a Fantom X ?

I went and told my son that the Fantom "had every instrument that you could think of". Unfortunately, his favorite instrument is a Hammered Dulcimer, so that was first out of his mouth.

If one is available commercially, I would be willing to buy it.
dboulden

Re: Hammered Dulcimer

Post by dboulden »

The SRX-09 World Collection card has a Hammered Dulcimer. Patch 90 "HamrDulcimer" and patch 91 "3D Dulcimer". It has a nice Zither too.

:o)

Dave

http://www.drstudio.demon.co.uk/
"Musicians fall into three categories: those with a physical block, those with a mental block and those with a wooden block". Unfortunately, I'm in the 1st category!
Rordog

Post by Rordog »

There has got to be some in the preset Rom as well. IF nothing else, the general midi bank has a dulcimer. There are probably other ones too.
cdeerinck

Thanks !

Post by cdeerinck »

Rordog -- A Dulcimer and Hammered Dulcimer sound very different (somewhat like a guitar and a clavicord do). You might be able to tweak the Dulcimer patch, but I can't make instruments to match reality very well.

dboulden -- Thanks for the tip. I'm off to the store. Reflecting on you tag line: I think musicians fall into three categories: 1) Those who can play awesome, but have no money. 2) Those who cannot play as well, but have plenty of money. 3) Those who can play awesome, and have money, because they became professional musicians. I am a Type 2. Sometimes I wish I could play better, but wishing won't make me a Type 3, and I am not sure that if I could trade talent for money, wether I would really want to.
Rordog

Post by Rordog »

Fantom calls it "santur". but to me it sounds the same as a hammered dulcimer. and when I looked up Santur on google it often was usually one and the same with hammered dulcimer.
But, the SRX-09 dulcimers might sound better anyway. But take a listen to the Santur and see if it doesn't sound like a hammered dulcimer to you.
cdeerinck

Another thanks

Post by cdeerinck »

Rordog -- I learned a lot from the info you posted. The Santur does look like a hammered dulcimer, but is strung in a different scale. I think the hammers are very different too. It doesn't sound very similar to me. The Santur to me sounds more "tinny". Almost like it has a bit of Steel Drums in it.

The difference might be in my expectations though, because the Hammered Dulcimer that I heard was being played by someone who plays at Renaissance Fairs, and I bought a CD of his (Scott Williams).

I have noticed as I went around the web looking for audio snipets, that I found many variations on the sound. The bottom line here for me, is that I really need to hear what is on the SRX-09, before I buy it.

I'm not sure how to do that, given that the local music stores around here don't keep then in stock.

Thanks much for the info...
psionic11

Post by psionic11 »

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say if you happened to post an audio snippet of the exact Hammered Dulcimer you're looking for, someone here just might manage to tweak a patch for you to get that sound.

Heh heh, that someone may even be me, now that I have my new SRX07 Ultimate Keys card installed.

It may be as easy as lowering the cutoff filter frequency of the appropriate patch...
cdeerinck

Here's a snipet

Post by cdeerinck »

psionic11 -- Attached is a short snipet. It has one background instrument (a guitar), but the Hammered Dulcimer stands out very clear. It is 1/5 of a song that came from a copyrighted disk, so I am supposed to note here that it came from Scott William's album "Road to Lisdoonvarna".

If you are able to do this, I would be very instested in knowing how you approached editing the patch. I tried by starting with the Santur (GM 36), but it was a total failure on my part.

The Santur patch sounds like it has a string waveform, and a steel drum waveform, overlayed. I don't know if it really does, but it sounds that way to me. I am trying to lose the steel drum portion, and get to a richer sound.

thanks...
Sushil99

Post by Sushil99 »

I want dulcimer a and dulcimer b wave form in my fantom 6 how can i get this????