New Stage user needing help

Forum for JUNO STAGE
khoff2

New Stage user needing help

Post by khoff2 »

Hello. First time poster here, and so glad I found this resource. I recently picked up a Juno Stage as I felt it met all my requirements for live use - 76 keys, piano, synth, etc. I am having trouble setting up a split performance and retaining the effects. For example for the song Superstition, I find a Clav I like, tweak the effects in Patch mode; find a Horn sound I like - tweak that effect and save those patches as user patches. Then, I initialize a Performance slot, and select the edited Clav for my left part, and the edited horn for my right hand split. But, there are no effects anymore - just the dry sound. Is this normal or am I not understanding how to do this properly? I can't seem to find any mention of this in the manual. If this is normal, this is not good.
Thanks for any help.
K
Martijn

Re: New Stage user needing help

Post by Martijn »

Hi khoff2,

Sorry for my late reply, i don't visit this forum too often. Anyway...

A performance has its own effects (reverb, chorus and 3 MFX). When you initialize a performance, all effects are off or at a low level. In patch mode each patch has its own effects settings (reverb, chorus, 1 MFX). These settings can be applied to a performance by setting the FX SRC (see p.141 in manual) to the desired part. You can set this for reverb, chorus, mfx1, mfx2 and mfx3. This means the reverb and chorus can only be 'copied' from one of the two parts/patches. It's just a limitation of the fx unit of the Juno Stage. However, when you need the reverb and/or chorus to be different from the other part/patch, you can use one or two of the mfx's, which also can be used as reverb (#64) or chorus (#23).

I mostly setup patches with just the right tones i need with decent levels, then create a performance with those patches, assigned to the right key range, and then tweak the effects of the performance. You can send each part through one or more effects. In most cases 1 reverb and 1 chorus are enough. I then use MFX1-3 for i.e. distortion, rotary speaker, delay on which ever part.

Hope this helps you out. If not, please let me know.

Greetings,

Martijn