No RAM? So, no sampler?
No individual outputs!

Looks pretty SonicCell'ish.

Unimpressed.
Radek

Re: Roland Releases New Synth: JUNO-STAGE at LIMS

Post by Radek »

Unimpressed.
At least it has 76 keys, 2xSRX slots, it's lightweight and has built in song player. The real question is how much $?
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

I think it's a fantastic idea. Roland is great at targeting features for various application and this one is (finally) targeted at live players. I'm a little disappointed at only 2 1/4" outputs. I like to have stereo keys and a separate out for the bass. I love the weight (under 22 lbs) for a 76 note keyboard which claims to have good action. Someone else mentioned foot switch program changes. That would be good for shows.

If it matches the sound quality of a Fantom-X I'll probably go for it for live gigs, including throwing in an SRX-12 board for Rhodes.

edit - I wonder if the dedicated click output could be pressed in to service for any tone or patch, like my bass sound?
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

I suspect that the price could be similar (or, at least, not much higher) to the Juno-G... could this be the surprise Roland is preparing?

Reviewing the specs, the Stage looks like an alternative to the Juno-G targeted for musicians that do not need workstation features (sequencer, audio recording, sampling) but live-gig features (hence the 76 keys keyboard, USB player, more controls). It has more emphasis on live usage and less on music production. It's not above the Juno-G: it's just different.

So it could be considered something on the same level of the Juno-G, and have more or less the same price (maybe just slightly higher because of higher hardware costs due to keyboard, siz, srx slots and so on).

I think it's a vey good idea... if you just play live, either you get a synth or a workstation... in any case, you will miss something and have something you will never use. The only workaround is to buy something very expensive or very heavy.

The Juno Stage exactly fills a niche for these musicians, giving them the software and hardware features that they need in a light package.

Companies like Clavia have shownd that there is actually a market for instrument designed for easy and efficient live usage that do not include music production features and are compact, light and easy to carry to gigs. Not anyone can afford a Nord Stage though... so Roland in my opinion created a product that can appeal many (including myself).
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

It seems more like the guts of a Fantom-X repackaged without the sequencing and audio recording.

"128 voice polyphony
16 parts
76 keys (no aftertouch)
2 SRX slots
128 MB ROM
3 MFX plus chorus & reverb "

Note especially the 128MB ROM and 3 MFX plus chorus & reverb.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Tim, given that the Stage has an audio/SMF player, I think it's actually built off the SonicCell base.
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

I discovered the Juno Stage advertised on the dv247.com site in the UK this morning and was angry that my Juno G had been superseded 6 months after buying it... FOR ALL OF TEN-SECONDS! ...Until I noticed what's NOT in the Stage!

...More keys, but still no aftertouch, so I'll ignore the 'better quality keybed' suggestion!

...More ROM, but how much is taken up by the 88-note multisampled piano?

...Absence of audio tracks in sequencer(!?!) (AND accompanying physical sliders) ... surely this should knock off a huge slice of the price?!

...Only one stereo out pair! Not that I've ever yet used more than my one stereo out of any synth I've owned (bedroom studio musician with simple PC audio interface - recording one track at a time)... but WHAT? How does removing this kind of facility aid live use?

And what are these master keyboard facilities that appear at the touch of a button??? I see two switches added near the mod/pitch bender, but surely these always work... Where are all the control sliders for internal and external control beyond the internal-only sound modify knobs? .. now that might have been an interesting addition.

BUT MOST INTERESTINGLY OF ALL....

I see the LCD screen is changed! Necessary for operation... or for the fact the Juno G's screen is a cheap piece of.... ?

Since the stage is actually missing features (that use the screen) compared with the Juno G, we can be safe in the knowledge its the second of my suggestions above!

I do wish my Juno G has two SRX slots... but then again, having both special boards 97&98, and having not bothered to remove 98 to try 97 in the 6 months I've owned the G... and also being suspicious the SRX boards are expensive and 'samey' to the onboard ROM... I've not actually bought even one yet.

So all in all, I'm absolutely over the moon that the Juno Stage appears to be, as Tompabes already said, NOT a higher spec keyboard!

Add to that I got my Juno G for £625 last Xmas, when the RRP was £799...
Now I know, no-one pays full whack for gear, but the price I've seen for the Stage is £1,049... and new gear surely commands the price stated. Would I have paid £424 more for the Stage...? Not while I can still tell you my own name, no!!!
JunoJohn

Preliminary Price in the UK

Post by JunoJohn »

Here's a clickable link to the Juno-Stage for sale by Digital Village in the UK. Thanks to RobJuno for finding it! :-)

Digital Village is asking about 50% more for the Juno-Stage over the Juno-G. Add that to the price of the Juno-G in your local currency to get a very rough guess for the Juno-Stage.

Here in the US, that would add around $500 to the Juno-G's price--pretty much in line with the premium Roland charges for a one-size increase in a keybed.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Art - or anyone - If the Juno Stage is built off the Sonic Cell base, how does that compare to the Fantom-X as regards wave ROM and effects? I would need at least a soundset as good as the Fantom-X, preferably with the same waves and patches so I could transfer my Fantom-XR patches.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

the Sonic Cell is a hybrid X and G. Plus it uses the same OLED screen (although bigger) that the SC has. It has more patches than the Sonic Cell so I am curious to see if it really uses the FX architecture (or jumps into the G architecture).

Some other thoughts I have while I look at the photos of the Stage.
1. Why did they include an 3 digit LED. The OLED screen is big enough to see the patch number. I wonder if the LED is used for other functions (maybe BPM?)
2. They have patch change jacks. OK, that sounds great- but if they are using the FX architecture, it won't be a nice patch/performance change. So, does this mean they have possibly including the G's live mode (would make sense if this is a LIVE keyboard)
3. Could they have made a mistake and the Stage does have aftertouch. It again seems odd to take it away considering the other LIVE features they have added (inlcuding the SW1/SW2 buttons)
4. Wouldn't the TRANSPOSE key be a redundant. The have an oct + and - button so why make you hit the transpose button as well.
5. That Red EXT Input- is that a 1/8" jack to plug in an IPOD or other audio source? Or is that just a round button. The specs didn't mention it (again, maybe there are other mistakes on the specs like aftertouch).
6. Mistake on the picture with the hands selecting a patch. The KBD/ORG button is lit, the LED shows 008, but the display is on the 001 88StageGrand (which is the piano and thus the Piano key should be lit). Talk about bad marketing people- didn't they think we would notcie these little things (or maybe the OS is just that bad like the G was- hahaha).
7. Photo of guy playing the Stage standing up. Who plays a piano with their right foot on the expression pedal (which is up so there would be no sound anyways). Dang guitar players posing as keyboardists!!!!!!
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

3. Roland's specs say "with velocity." Unless the words "and aftertouch" magically appear, I'd assume it doesn't have it.

Roland has made only one Juno with aftertouch, ever.

4. The "TRANSPOSE-DOWN-UP" looks identical to the Juno-G. With the Juno-G you hold the TRANSPOSE button down while pressing either the + or - buttons to transpose by semitones. For octaves, you just use the + or - buttons.

The Fantom-G is a bit different, but similar in concept.

5. The last words on the Juno-Stage Details page are
an external input for a portable audio player.
6. Nice catch! If Jimknopf was here, he'd probably say the LED indicates that the OS is only 8% complete. ;-)

7. The photo shows a keyboardist who WAS seated, but suddenly leapt away when he saw the headlights of the approaching car. 8-O
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

If we're reducing model manes to just 'G'... it might help if Fantom or Juno is clearly identified. Surely the Sonic Cell is nothing like a hybrid Fantom X/G, but nearer to a Juno G. Perhaps that is what was meant?

It truly baffles me, in an age of cheap and powerful...
(A) PCs,
(B) soft synths/samplers/sequencers, and
(C) midi controller keyboards with all the knobs/sliders/split-set-ups you'll ever need...
that here's a synth that costs over a grand (£)... that'll play back a midi file or an mp3 whilst you play along with it!

I'm not dissing such musicians... cus I 've never played live in my life... but is this instrument just one step up in feel (if not function) from an arranger keyboard (with built in 'styles')... for those who perform in local pubs and ageing social clubs on a weekend?
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

Crying shame the Juno G didn't have a pro keybed with aftertouch, that said, despite being light, it feels less flimsy than some more expensive synths to my fingers!
I'd be most intrigued to feel the Stage... but I struggle to believe it'll be any different... just longer. I'll be miffed if it feels better though!
JunoJohn

Audio Player Input and Vocoder

Post by JunoJohn »

I've added the external input and vocoder to my features list on page 1.

Thanks go to The Audacity Works for finding the vocoder reference!
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

Maybe the keybed of the Juno Stage is an improvement on the Juno G. A brief glance at the photos of the Stage, to my eye, appear to show longer white keys. Not that I've ever found the G difficult to play, but another visitor, in an old thread elsewhere, once criticised the G's short keys.