Roland Releases New Synth: JUNO-STAGE at LIMS

Forum for JUNO STAGE
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Roland Releases New Synth: JUNO-STAGE at LIMS

Post by Artemiy »

V-CeeOh, we do not yet know which architecture the Juno Stage has inside. I suspect it's like SonicCell but with 2x the waveform ROM, but we need to see. In any case, it should be different enough from the rest to have it's own forum. I even think the Juno-G should have had it's own forum.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Oh, I see. We'll keep it here then.
Yes indeed, it really looks like a keyboard version of the Sonic Cell. If that's the case we'll be getting the excelente Fantom X engine in a "vintage-like" look. Cool. I hope that Roland has improved the keyboard quality over the Juno-G wich I found to be the only real bad thing about it.
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!
How will I sell my Juno-G now???
Ludvig

Post by Ludvig »

Yes, it's got a new, redesigned keyboard ...

Best Regards
Ludvig
The Audacity Works

Post by The Audacity Works »

Artemiy:
I suspect it's like SonicCell but with 2x the waveform ROM, but we need to see.
Doesn't SonicCell have 128MB of ROM as well?

I actually find this pretty amusing—Roland kinda ripped off the Nord Stage... which ripped off the (criminally underrated IMO) Roland VR-760 "V-Combo". Ah, the cycle is complete.

No word on whether or not it has balanced outs. If not, that's a bit of an oversight, what with the whole point of using it on stage.

Otherwise, this thing looks really cool.

• Mic preamp with phantom power and dedicated vocal reverb
• Dedicated click out for the drummer (a la XP-80)
• Vocoder (!!!)
billw

Post by billw »

"I actually find this pretty amusing—Roland kinda ripped off the Nord Stage... which ripped off the (criminally underrated IMO) Roland VR-760 "V-Combo". Ah, the cycle is complete. "

Except for the missing aftertouch and VK-8 engine...
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Dang- I think I will have to trade-in my Sonic Cell to get this. Getting tired of using a Novation controller anyways to run it- or maybe I just trade in my X-61 and and my RS-9. It will be interesting to see how this thing is priced.
Bah- where do I put my 2 SRX stickers on there now?

[edit] Scratch that- it doesn't have any USB audio i/o. Bummer
AK-Jake

Post by AK-Jake »

Funny, the J-Stage isn't listed on the Roland US website...is this product going to be released in the US? I'm guessing it will.

Any idea on price?

If it had aftertouch, I'd consider it...but since I just got my Fantom X7 as my Juno G replacement, I think I'll just stick with that.
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

IMHO it will be something between the Juno-G and the Fantoms... so don't expect aftertouch or advanced features that are reserved for high-end instruments!
It looks like a sort of Juno-G targeted for the gigging musician, whereas the J-G was targeted for home use and music production. So it has 76 keys, (hopefully) better keyboard and maybe more "live performance oriented" design and features...
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

no aftertouch- doh! it will obviously be a very cheap unit then (maybe 3-400 over a Sonic Cell would you say?).
Igglethorpe

Post by Igglethorpe »

I know Bass player interested in getting a synth that can work well live. He doesn't need a sequencer or sampling even. This could be right up his alley.

Anyone seen the MSRP / street price yet?
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

It cannot be cheaper than the Juno-G so unless that one would drop spectacularly I don't envisage the Juno Stage being "only 300-400 over a Sonic Cell"... I personally think it will be marketed against the Yamaha MO 8 or Korg TR 76 / 88.... on the other hand it cannot be conceived to be on the par with VR Combo... otherwise the Fantom and Juno series would overlap and hinder each other on the market... lack of aftertouch and no AC included means a certain estimated price... my guess would be somewhere between 1250 and 1650 euros...
The Audacity Works

Post by The Audacity Works »

billw:
Except for the missing aftertouch and VK-8 engine...
Don't forget the extra $600-800 (???).

javaj:
no aftertouch- doh! it will obviously be a very cheap unit then (maybe 3-400 over a Sonic Cell would you say?).
That sounds about right. There seem to be some new live-oriented features, but I don't see anything about USB audio or AU plugin compatibility. Not sure how expensive either is to implement tho', or if that would shave anything off the price.

I'm still guessing close to the Juno-G price. Removing the sequencer and audio tracks (and RAM slot) has got to help us somewhat.
JunoJohn

Available in August (?)

Post by JunoJohn »

For what it's worth, Sonic State says the Juno-Stage will be available in August.

BTW, I'm changing the name of the synth to Juno-S. I can do that, right? ;-)
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Roland UK has put up a page on the Juno-S. Doesn't appear to have any new info other than restating the August date.