Gulp - Patch Editing?

Forum for JUNO STAGE
2TIM316

Gulp - Patch Editing?

Post by 2TIM316 »

Just realized this. Roland, masters of misdirection (not in a malicious way, just that they want you to pay attention to what they want you to pay attention to), have carefully omitted mentioning anything about just how much patch editing is possible. The Roland demo guys have got us "gee-whizzing" about all of the live performance features that we've not heard one bit about this important piece of information. From the specs we see 256 user patches, same as the Fantom-Xs. But Roland has historically "chopped down" their flagship synths in order not to dilute sales of their top-of-the-line product. Thus, it may very well be that the only "patch editing" possible is that done from the front panel knobs - attack, release, cutoff, and resonance.

This wouldn't be a first for Roland. In their masterful marketing spin, they will claim that, "the focus is on live playing, not programming". However I've always found that some subtle surgical tweaking at the patch level is critical to wringing the best out of the Roland sound library. The Juno Stage may very well be a "preset" instrument with limited "broad stroke" editing from the front panel. And those edits may be what constitute "user patches".
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Gulp - Patch Editing?

Post by Artemiy »

Tim, it's so funny to see someone upsetting himself from own assumptions... Calm down, let's wait for them publishing the manual.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Oh, absolutely!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

:-)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I'd be very surprised if that was the case.
Hint: did you notice the TONE SWITCH/SELECT labeling under the display? and the EDIT + WRITE buttons? ;-)
tompabes

And what about the performance mode?

Post by tompabes »

It would be strange... the architecture is the same... the software looks like the Juno-G software... why remove advanced editing in a product that costs more? Anyway, we'll see.

But I do have another doubt... in the video, you can see that it is possible to put two sounds in layer or in split in performance mode.

Does it mean that the Stage does not have the powerful 16 part performance mode of the Juno-G? Now this would be bad. I know the specs say that it is 16 parts multitimbral, but every keyboard is (via midi), and that does not mean that it also has a 16 part performance mode (see Yamaha or Korg).

I hope the only thing they removed from the Juno-G is the sequencer (and sampling): if they removed advanced patch editing or the 16 part performance mode they might have removed too much.

But I guess you're right: let's just wait for the manual!
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

I don't need no stinking manual ;-)))

Patch editing

We know the Juno-Stage will ship with editor software. While that may not be useful in a live performance, it does imply that the Juno-Stage is capable of some serious patch editing. (It's not a crippled, kiddie synth.)

With V-CeeOh's buttons and the ubiquitous alpha-dial, it looks to be eminently tweakable! :-)

16 part Performance mode

About 2 minutes into this video found by javaj, Ed Diaz explains that you can still
split/layer up to 16 different waves, just like we've been doing for years…
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

no, there will be user patch editing. This is the same Sonic Cell engine (although they must have tweaked the architecture a bit). You can't use the MFX as input effects in path mode- only inperformance. But on one of the videos, you see that one of the patches is the vocoder patch. Thus they would have changed that in the architecture.
So, the question is- will the also be changed in the G and the Sonic Cell. And one other note- the GW-8 is using the Sonic Cell engine as well (identical patches). Interesting how the SC is becoming their standard platform. What will the G platform bring?
B3Fiend

Post by B3Fiend »

I was hoping the Juno-G was what I've always been wishing for: a FanX or FanG meant for live performance with all of the "workstation" stuff stripped out. I would be happy as punch with a FanG without a sequencer or multi-track recorder. I don't use that stuff playing live, and I'd venture to guess most others don't either.

Perhaps a FantomG-Stage is on the drawing board someday?
I'd be happy with:
- no sequencer
- no multi-track recorder
- killer midi controller setup for playing external modules
- lots of live-tweaking controllers
- Effects
- mod wheels in addition to joystick
(I almost didn't go with Fantoms due to my hatred for joysticks)

Turning every keyboard into a "master workstation" is marketing pressure that adds bloat and $$$ that not everyone wants or needs.

There's a lot of folks out there that want killer live performance sound and features without all the extra gobbledygook
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

Well, if I'm not wrong the fantom-g has 8 sliders, 4 knobs and 16 pads... the Motif XS has 8 sliders, 8 knobs (though no pads), bend and mod wheels and ribbon controller... that's not bad at all. Those are *already* performance oriented keyboards, and I don't think that removing the sequencer from the software would lower their price.

But all the things you're asking for are here:

http://www.cme-pro.com/en/product-detai ... oduct_id=9

Just add a couple of sound modules... ;)
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

javaj - having a long history with Roland instruments, it's been my experience that many Roland romplers can share the same synth engine, and yet have very different feature sets. Thus, the Juno Stage may have the Sonic Cell engine, but still be restricted in the amount of patch editing possible. And this even with a software editor included.

We will not know for sure until a downloadable manual is available.