Polyphonic Aftertouch Question

Forum for JUNO STAGE
muziksculp

Polyphonic Aftertouch Question

Post by muziksculp »

Given the fact that the Juno-Stage keyboard does not transmit after-touch messages, I wonder if the patches are programmed to respond to aftertouch messages, ie. so by triggering them from another keyboard (that transmits aftertouch messages) would that be a way around this limitation ?

Is Aftertouch part of the Juno-Stage sound engine ?

Thanks.
JunoJohn

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch Question

Post by JunoJohn »

Aftertouch should not be a problem.

Since 1985, every Roland keyboard (that I can think of) has been designed to respond to aftertouch. This is true even for those keyboards which don't transmit aftertouch.

On the Juno-Stage, you should be able to trigger channel aftertouch using an expression pedal (like the EV-5) plugged into the CONTROL port on the back panel, just as you can on many other Roland keyboards. And yes, you can trigger aftertouch from another keyboard.
muziksculp

Post by muziksculp »

Thanks for the info.

So, the Juno-Stage does recognize aftertouch messages, either via the EV-5 pedal, or from another keyboard that transmits aftertouch (I use a Motif XS7) keyboard, which transmits aftertouch, that would do the trick.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

There are 2 questions here: "is the Juno-Stage keybed able to transmit aft messages to the tongenerator or to other external keyboard / module?" The answer would be no. The second question (which is essential): "is the Juno-Stage tongenerator able to receive aft messages and modulate the sound accordingly?" - I'd say the midi messages (from a different keyboard controller) may very well enter the Juno-Stage via MIDI IN connector but I dunno how will they be interpreted by the tongenerator. Also never heard about an expression pedal being able to emulate aftertouch :) triggering a function like any other controller (aftertouch being one, ofc) yes, but does that pedal create midi aft messages??? I think not...
muziksculp

Post by muziksculp »

Does the "Sonic Cell" module's programs respond to aftertouch ? I'm guessing that the "Juno Stage" would have a similar program structure to sonic cell.

Regarding the EV-5, well... usually expression pedals transmit expression messages (CC#11) or can be assigned to transmit any other CC# parameter, but NOT aftertouch, (which is not a CC# message), but rather a "channel" message , plus aftertouch would make more sense to play via the keyboard, since it is the type of expression a keyboard player can produce by pressing down harder (squeezing) the key down to add more expression such as change in amplitude, or other effect such as opening the filter, or adding other interesting effects to a sound while playing in real time.

So, I don't think the EV-5 can generate/transmit aftertouch "channel" messages.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

Yes, the Sonic Cell responds to everything a normal FAX would respond to (and FG).
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

The Juno-G and Fantom-X allow you to set the "Control Pedal Assign" to aftertouch. Why would the Juno-Stage be different?
muziksculp

Post by muziksculp »

That's interesting, I had no idea that is possible to set on the Juno-G, and Fantom-X, since I don't own, or use them, so, my guess would be that this should also be possible with the Juno-Stage.

Thanks, that was very useful info. to know.