Just a little upgrade???

Forum for JUNO STAGE
demonp

Just a little upgrade???

Post by demonp »

Hi everybody. I've found this synth some days ago. For the first look it was great! Big, nice sounds good, more sounds, more, more, more. Than yesterday I played my 5 years old RS-50. Watched some videos way back from namm 2003. Watched the videos and images of J-S again and had lost any wish to get this "BEST FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE" synth. I think if JS comes 5 years ago that would be the coolest ever machine!
Why did I actually start the topic?
1. The knobs - if i still belive my eyes they've lost a lot of functions - JS: attack, release, cutoff, resonance. RS-50: attack, decay, release, cutoff, resonance, lfo controls. JS also has mEQ and reverb, but as for me these are fix parameters which I make at home.
2. Layer/split - I hope it is just a joke!!! Where are the zones, overlays, velocity??? I can layer or split just 2 patches???? This is not even funny.
3. Ins/Outs where are the individuals????? I have a Korg also and now I can't even imagine a giging without any aditional individual out. Mic in is really cool
4. Still no aftertouch, but it had been discussed in other topic

Some positives over RS-50: MIC in, SW1-SW2, 76 keys, more waveforms, audio in. Not too much.

I'm interested if this keyboard can switch patches like a FantomG continiously
V-CeeOh

Re: Just a little upgrade???

Post by V-CeeOh »

1 - You lost control over ENV-DECAY, LFO BALANCE, RATE and DEPTH. You get control over Eq LOW and HIGH and REVERB. I would not call that a LOT but I'll agree to disagree;-)

2. I don't know were you got this idea but the JS can layer/split up to 16 parts (patches) in Performance Mode.

3 - There are no individual outs in the JS. If you really need those, forget the JS. RS also don't have those.

4 - We still have no actual proof of although somethings point to that. Again, if you really need it wait untill confirmation.

Compared to the RS I can also ad:
- 4 tones structure for the patch as opposed to the 2 tone in the RS
- 128 voice poliphony (64 on the RS)
- 3 MFX (1 on the RS)
- Direct playing of SMF and AIFF, WAV and MP3 files
- SRX slots for sound expansion
- External USB storage. No external storage on the RS

That pretty much says it all ;-)
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Oh, and NO you don't have seamless switching between sounds. If you need it , get a G.
demonp

Post by demonp »

I know about perform mode, but can I make a patch like in J-G with velocity, overlaying and splitting? I ask because J-G didn't have these split buttons. EQ live editing is not really useful. I need to see this machine live :)
I was just looking for an all-in-one synth for my needs. Need some better sounds. Thought about FantomX, but it is too heavy for giging (and I didn't really like the sounds). J-G is (as I read) quite buggy. Fantom-G is very expensive for me (much cheaper, than FantomX was some years ago), but it is the best machine I've ever seen. :(((((
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

demonp
The Juno Stage is not available yet. But since all points at it as been Sonic Cell/Fantom X based I could say I'm 99,9% sure you'll be able to do all the layering, splitting, velocity switching you want.

Also I don't know why you say the Juno-G is quite buggy. It has is things like everything else. I never understand why if you have 10% of people say something is bad and the rest 90% saying it's good, we imediately assume it's bad instead of the opposite.
demonp

Post by demonp »

I didn"t say JG is bad, just buggy :) Plus the keys are a little weak. I hope those new type keys in JS would be perfect. This 128 mb of memory are very good. If everything I wrote before is false, JS is the very good enough for me. Because I thought (when got my firs Korg workstation) that I will write music in squencer and the sampling option is useful too. But as the result I never used the sampler, nor even sampled sounds, In seq mode I"ve got mad and after 2 compositions 1min each I never touched that function again. I ve got PC for this :)). I will wait for JS to come to Hungary to take a look at it.
demonp

Post by demonp »

I've read the manual... Just 1 MFX/patch??? Hmm. 3MFX for perform is OK. But I still don't understand roland why they give such a small amount of USER performances even in PERFORMANCE synth?