Juno-Stage Manual is now online!!!!

Forum for JUNO STAGE
javaj_

Juno-Stage Manual is now online!!!!

Post by javaj_ »

Now it's time to dig in and see what this thing is all about

No aftertouch- too bad- I think a bunch of people were hoping this was a typo.

As for waveforms, the Juno-Stage shares 1316 waveforms with the Sonic Cell- with the difference being the main piano samples (both have their own unique piano waveforms).

1 extra MFX- the vocoder- than the Sonic Cell. This makes me think they could add the vocoder to the Sonic Cell and Fantom G.
JunoJohn

Re: Juno-Stage Manual is now online!!!!

Post by JunoJohn »

JunoJohn

Aftertouch

Post by JunoJohn »

Keybed is only velocity-sensitive. Sorry.

Channel aftertouch can be transmitted by Control Pedal (see page 59), Sound Modify knobs in MIDI Controller Mode (p.89), and D-Beam (p.136).

Both polyphonic and channel aftertouch are received.
JunoJohn

Miscellaneous thoughts

Post by JunoJohn »

You can create and save your own arpeggios (p. 62-3).

MIDI Controller Mode (p.89) allows you to assign the 7 Sound Modify knobs to CC messages. Add in the D-Beam and Control Pedal, and you could control 9 different CC's at the same time.

Chapter 8. Detailed Editing for Patches is 22 pages long, excluding the Piano Mode section. So, yes, the patches can be fully edited.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Mucho thanks. Been waiting for this.

Okay. Downloaded (How did we ever live without hi-speed?).

Looks like a fully editable Roland synth. Chapter 8 gives the details. Excellent. I was wrong on this assumption. I thought it might be one of those "performance" type synths where you can only edit general parameters.

Will look forward to figuring out (or hearing about) which Roland synth this engine compares to - same quality as Fantom-G? or Sonic Cell? Or Fantom-X?
demonp

Post by demonp »

There is also a brochure on Roland US
Here
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

2Tim316- this is clearly the Sonic Cell engine- although pimped up with the extra Vocoder MFX (please Roland- add this to the Sonic Cell). And I believe they took some features from the new GW arranger. Since it is dual-SRX- it is a Sonic Cell (versus a G). Art, I didn't look at all the patch editing parameters- but if you have a chance, can you comment if it is identical or if any of the G paramaters made it in there.

So it is basically a Sonic Cell with a keyboard and performance features
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

I know the sound of the Fantom-X really well. The "G" has a significantly "smoother" more "analog" sound to my ears. I wonder if the Sonic Cell engine shares this improvement?
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

I compared SonicCell and Juno-Stage in terms of waveforms. The only difference is piano waves. Juno-Stage has got two sets of new piano samples: first from Fantom G (HM-Piano) and the second guite new .
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, the waveform map is different. I wonder if the Stage uses a Librarian format similar to SonicCell. If not, there will be no converted Planets for it, I am afraid.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

I wonder if it will read Fantom-X patches and performances. That would be convenient.

What I really need it to do is this:

1) Create a performance with 3 (or more) patches zoned about the keyboard.

2) Part 1 is bass - lower part of keyboard. Disable sustain pedal for this part. Enable foot controller volume for this part.

3) Part 2 is piano or rhodes - upper part of keyboard. Enable sustain pedal for this part. Disable foot controller volume for this part. Enable CC7 volume from one of the front panel knobs for this part.

4) Part 3 is a string pad - upper part of keyboard but stopping an octave or so before the piano/rhodes part. Enable sustain pedal for this part. Disable foot controller volume for this part. Enable CC7 volume from one of the front panel knobs for this part (a different one than the piano volume knob).

If it can do this and save it as a performance (thus being able to create between 10 and 20 more of these) then I can finally retire my D-70/Fantom-XR rig for the all-in-one Juno Stage. The key is independent controller routings for each part. It says you could have 16 zones going across the keyboard. If each zone can have its controllers enabled or disabled and this complete setting can be saved, then it looks like I'm in business.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I wonder if it will read Fantom-X patches and performances.
I do not think so.
What I really need it to do is this: ....
Sure, it will be possible just like on your XR.
synthman_ds

Aftertouch

Post by synthman_ds »

>Keybed is only velocity-sensitive. Sorry.

>Channel aftertouch can be transmitted by Control Pedal (see page 59), Sound Modify knobs in MIDI Controller Mode (p.89), and D-Beam (p.136).

>Both polyphonic and channel aftertouch are received.

I haven't figured out a way to turn a knob or use a d-beam to activate aftertouch with both hands either on one keyboard or each on two seperate keyboards. Maybe Roland can explain it to us.

Using an expression pedal isn't the same. No aftertouch on a $599.00 keyboard, sure. No aftertouch on a $1350 keyboard designed for live performance and has aftertouch capability programming in own it's patches, you got to be kidding.

Yet another year I won't be buying a new 76 note keyboard.
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

Message moved elsewhere - not a manual issue