Juno-Stage ( Dual and Split modes )

Forum for JUNO STAGE
Hovannes

Juno-Stage ( Dual and Split modes )

Post by Hovannes »

my question is, how many different sound can i use in a patch ?
let say, is it possible to play left hand Bass sound and right hand Piano and Strings together?
if somebody answers i will be very thankfull
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Juno-Stage ( Dual and Split modes )

Post by Artemiy »

You can layer or split up to 16 different sounds on the Juno Stage.
Hovannes

Post by Hovannes »

Thanks for your answer.
Hovannes

Post by Hovannes »

Thanks for your answer.
javaj_

Post by javaj_ »

This is not a Juno-Stage unique feature- you can do this with all the synths. Just go to performance, and change all the channels to 1 - then adjust the key ranges. The split is just a nice and quick way of doing this with 2 sounds.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

So basicaly the Performance mode of the Stage is similar to the Fantom? I'm not questioning you, Artemiy, but from what is to be seen in the demo video I had the impression there is only a dual OR split mode which are mutual-exclusive (i.e. you can only have one of those, not both). There are also dedicated buttons - DUAL and SPLIT which they cancel each other. Yes, it says something about THE split point (meaning there is only ONE split point, otherwise they'd say split pointS or multiple splits) being very easy to obtain, "just press the note on the keyboard". This also adds to the impression you can only put 2 sounds on the keyboard for playing live, either layered or split.
I also visioned the GW-8 video which explained the keyboard dual-split setup in a similar manner - which led to the conclusion there must be the same thing on both keyboards. Furthermore, it seems there is no tone editing on the GW-8 video while this aspect is quasi-ignored in the Stage video. By analogy, I've been tempted to think there is no tone editing
(a la Fantom) on the Stage either, which I find hard to believe. The only conclusion is that BOTH videos are lacking and deceiving, leading people to believe the keyboards are weaker than they actually are, which is not good for bussiness.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Parsifal
You can take out all your doubts if you take a look a the (already) downloadable Juno Stage manual ;-)
So, to cut a long story short, you can layer 16 sounds on the Stage keyboard (in a way similar to the Fantom) AND you can Edit all the patches (again, similar to the Fantom).
The DUAL and SPLIT buttons actually work with parts 1 and 2.
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

Right, they're just a very quick way to access dual and split set-ups...once again catering to the live performer who needs to change between sounds quickly.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

i think page 142 would refer to this ... changing the midi recieve channel for each part ....

i noticed , if/when i play the Juno Stage via midi from another keyboard ... if it's in Dual mode , as it is currently programmed , only 1 voice will sound ... ( midi ch 1 ) ...

so to layer more sounds in Dual or Split from another board , the sounds need to be on the appropriate midi channels ...

and to play more sounds from the Stage keys ... the Key On and midi need to be set within the Performance ..!!???

i haven't worked with Roland gear for several years ... so i'm a bit rusty ...!!
AAR

Post by AAR »

In a Manual:

p 134
Selecting the Parts that will Produce Sound
(Keyboard Switch)

When you play the keyboard, youill hear the parts whose
keyboard switch is iONi and the part that is currently selected.
You can also use the following function buttons to turn this on/off

turn the Keyboard Switch ON for each part that you want to play from the keyboard.

It mean, you can play 16 parts from the keyboard.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

and if you're playing the Stage from another keyboard ... you need to assign the proper midi receive channels ..
AAR

Post by AAR »

Only from another keybord?
Chas

Post by Chas »

Hi. I don't own a Juno Stage -- I'm thinking of buying one to replace my old Ensoniq MR-76,

I want to do exactly what you asked - bass in left hand, piano and strings in right. So, can you do it? Could you have three sounds in the right split and two in the left?

Do you happen to know if you can somehow set up the keyboard so that if you split it, the left side is output out of the left output jack, and the right side out of the right output jack. I want to do that so I can put two jacks into my amp and thereby adjust volumes of the two sides in case I want one louder than the other while I'm playing.

Thanks.

CHAS
amokaman

Post by amokaman »

Yes ... Yes ... Yes ...
See manual Chap. 10 Performance Mode page 134 section Specifying the Range of Each Part (Key Range). You simply set the start and end keys of the 16 parts (zones). Key ranges can overlap each other. The section doesn't mention any layer limits, though you should keep in mind the 128 Maximum Polyphony limit. See page 139 on the part mixer, you can set the pan for the part to left or right as you wish.

I've found that if you use the expression pedal for volume, then the volume for all parts jump to the expression level when you press it. That is if I had bass at level 50 and piano at level 80 in the Performance the moment I use the expression pedal for volume the levels would then be equal. Maybe there is a way around that ? Anyway for now I don't use the pedal for volume. If I need to fade out at end of a song .. I hold damper pedal down and turn the volume knob down.