Checked Out The Juno Stage Today

Forum for JUNO STAGE
2TIM316

Checked Out The Juno Stage Today

Post by 2TIM316 »

They had it at my local GC. I've got to say, I'm impressed with the keyboard department there. They've got all of the latest keyboards, all hooked up properly. Easy to move from keyboard to keyboard and test things out.

The JS keyboard does feel remarkably good for a budget, lightweight instrument. Unfortunately I found that the actual playing response was not that great. The velocity gradation as you play harder and softer was not entirely smooth.

The sounds appeared to all be taken from the Fantom-X series. I noticed many familiar patch names. Pianos and Rhodes sounded decent. Even in mono (I turned down one speaker to hear what it would sound like in mono) it sounded pretty good.

Then I moved to the Fantom-G 61. To me this synth-action keyboard felt better. Maybe it was because it connects better to the sounds. Maybe it was because the sounds themselves are better.

Then I moved to the Korg M3 and Yamaha Motif XS just for comparison.

One thing I noticed - the Fantom-G is the only one where you can dig into a Rhodes sound and get a number of levels of "bite". This is important to me.

While previously I had felt that the G61 was disproportionate in its overall size compared to the size of the massive display, that didn't seem to bother me as much today.

Truthfully were there no Fantom-G, I'd have been much more impressed with the Juno Stage. It is sort of a Fantom-X for live performers who don't need all the recording features. It's lightweight and feels pretty good considering its weight. That's why I went for the XR instead of the X keyboard a number of years ago.

But knowing a better sounding keyboard is now available gives me pause. It's hard for me not to require the best. I could live without the 15 extra keys in order to keep the weight at a manageable number for moving from gig to gig.

So if I go for an all-in-one live performance axe, it'll probably be the "G". First and foremost for me is sound quality, and the "G" has it. The Korg M3 now comes in an expanded version with new piano, Rhodes, and orchestral sounds. But the overall look and feel of that instrument is not what I'm looking for for live gigs. Plus the M3 and now the Yamaha Motif XS both come in rack formats. So if I had to have those sounds on a gig, I could go with the rack. The Fantom-G only comes in a keyboard (for now). It will be interesting to see if they release a rack version at Winter NAMM 2009. I don't think I can wait that long.

Bottom line: The "G" is a fantastic sounding keyboard. Maybe I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I need the best sound quality money can buy (within reason).

Plus, with a "G", I can use Art's new "G" soundsets, which I'm now going to give a listen to!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Checked Out The Juno Stage Today

Post by Artemiy »

Hey, Tim! I haven't tried the Stage yet, but I can confirm that the Fantom-G is in a new league compared to everything based on the Fantom-X chip. However, it does come at a premium cost. Here in Ukraine you can get a Juno-G for approximately $1400 MSRP, whereas a Fantom-G6 costs... are you sitting down?.. $4100 MSRP. So the SonicCell and Stage do make sense, and the Fantom-X engine is still best in the class, in my opinion, plus you can add the SRX EP's which are mind-blowing (and about the same as in the G).
2TIM316

Re: Checked Out The Juno Stage Today

Post by 2TIM316 »

Wow, that's almost triple the price. Here in the states the MAP for the JS is $1400 and the G is $2600, so not even double. As a working pro, the extra $1200 would get absorbed in years of service. I've been using my XR since December 2004 and could easily get a number of years more out of it. You should see what some guys are still using on high paying gigs.

Again, I would love an instrument which just had the sounds and programming capabilities of the "G" without all of the sequencing and recording. I wouldn't need the pads or the massive display. But you obviously can't build an instrument "cafeteria style".

Maybe the Juno Stage of 2010 will be based on the "G" engine. Of course by then we'll be in to another class of Roland Flagship workstation so the circle continues.

A rack "G" for around $1500 US would be great. But even if it's announced at NAMM 2009, that means it won't be in stores until April/May 2009.

Always the same dilemma - buy now or wait. With the Fantom-X it was an easier decision since they released a rack version along with the keyboards.