JUNO G vs. JUNO STAGE

Forum for JUNO STAGE
luke

JUNO G vs. JUNO STAGE

Post by luke »

I have been lurking around a little bit, and since I am a JunoG user, I made a brief comparison of the two machines.

Juno G
--------

PATCHES: 768+256(GM)
SAMPLE ROM: 64MB
KEYBOARD: 61 keys, smaller size
DISPLAY: 240x92 orange/black, displays more information,
tends to breakdown
SOUND CONTROL: attack, decay, sustain, release
cutoff, resonance
LFO - rate, pitch, filter, amp
filter envelopes
AUDIO OPTIONS: 4 audio tracks in sequencer , song recorder, audio editing,
playing samples stored on an SD card, long loading time and annoying import procedure
SIZE&WEIGHT: 6.2kg, 102x29x10
lighter and more portable
OTHER STUFF I CARE ABOUT: mic/line in input
output B

Juno STAGE
--------------

PATCHES: 1027+256(GM)
SAMPLE ROM: 128MB
KEYBOARD: 76 keys, normal size, new feel
DISPLAY: 240x64 black/white, greater size
less info
SOUND CONTROL: attack, decay
cutoff, resonance
EQ - low, high
AUDIO OPTIONS: playback directly from usb drive
SIZE&WEIGHT: 9.8kg, 125x34x11
heavier, but looks more serious on stage (juno G looks like a f*ing toy next to a 10 piece band)
OTHER STUFF I CARE ABOUT: mic input/+phantom power
song/click output
vocoder

I have been reading the patch lists of both machines, they use the same soundset, so it will be possible to load the user patches and performances to the other machine.

I am planning to sell the JunoG and get the Stage, because it gives me more features I can make use of, and I won't spend too much money.

Any comments, observations, suggestions?
raccoon

Re: JUNO G vs. JUNO STAGE

Post by raccoon »

(juno G looks like a f*ing toy next to a 10 piece band)

sounds like you have made up your mind
luke

Post by luke »

Actually, that is an observation, I don't mind that. I have been using the instrument for a year now, and it was always doing great.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

the fantom-x7 can be bought for $1500 which makes it so hard to justify paying anything close to that for a juno-stage.

oh, yeah, i forgot the vocoder
luke

the summary

Post by luke »

I have to make a decision soon about which machine to keep (Stage/G), so I made a brief summary of what I learned so far. I dug as deep into the machine as I could in the timeframe, so here are some cons:

On the Juno Stage:

1. They messed up the Favorite mode COMPLETELY - you don't have graphical screen with icons to choose from, it turns off by itself when you select a sound from the list, when enabled, you don't know which bank you are in, it takes 1 looong second before you can select a sound after you changed a bank
(no wonder it is not called Quick Access anymore :D:D:D)
2. some waveforms which helped to create unique sounds like - Atkflute, original Solo Trumpet, Burning lead, etc are missing, and thus the sounds cannot be recreated.
3. When you hit a category button in patch mode, for some strange reason instead of getting a list of sound, you either get only one patch, or two patches alternating. You have to hit enter after that, to get a list. Very comfotable for gigging musicians indeed!
4. pressing Rhythm pattern when there is a pattern playing - stops the pattern. Weird.
5. USB host connection doesn't recognize directories.
6. nobody fixed the #14 Jazz rhythm pattern playing out of time both on Juno G and Stage
7. They cut some menus and selections for no particular reason, since the screen is the same width (check for example the Chorus: 02 DELAY effect)

Where as the JunoG:

1. has a funny keyboard (smaller keys and funny action, but quite usable)
2. display on JunoG unfortunately tends to break, and that starts with funny contrast on different places of the screen
3. There is a pitchbender issue that causes sending incorrect values when the controller is close to the default position.
4. Loading samples is soooo slow
5. Keyboard range is only 61 keys

To conlude - On the stage they made many things slower or more complicated for gigging musicians, but the keyboard is at least standard size, it sounds better (default FX programming is fine) and USB host connection is helpful. It is a pity, that although many waveforms are the same, it isn't exactly the same set, which is why library and editor files aren't compatible...

Q1: How would you people decide if it were you?
Q2: Can it be expected that someone will come up with a library for Stage similar to the XV collection for the JunoG and FantomX?
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Hi Luke,

Reading your more recent post lead me to this one. As another happy 'G' owner I was considering the 'Stage' and wondering if it's purchase warranted the mortgage of my firstborn but you have answered the question for me.

1. We have a lead guitarist who is prone to sudden setlist changes on a whim so I rely heavily on the 'Quick access' of live mode. (Finding yourself faced with a solo organ intro whilst staring at a lovely piano/brass split on the screen and the drummer is already tapping 4 on the hi-hat really gives you an adrenaline boost)

2. I extensively use the XV patches along with Artemiy's drawbar organs and from what you say these are not compatible with the Stage.

3. Yeah, the G doesn't look quite as imposing on stage but I use an old but reliable 76 note piano as a secondary controller. Add the music stand, mic and stand and I've got plenty to hide behind.

4. The pitch bend and screen issues haven't seriously bothered me (as yet) and I can get round the small , funny keys thing and the 61 note limit with the afore mentioned piano.

As I don't have access to a Juno Stage without taking a 2 hour flight I will have to assume that the improvement in sound quality might not be enough to tip the scales. I had been imagining how nice it would be just to have 1 keyboard to lug around but I think I will stick with the G for a bit longer.

Thank you. I have found your comments enlightening.

Cheers
jpq

Post by jpq »

Actually in here importer says display problem in juno g is solved.
jpq

Post by jpq »

Actually i think Juno G keys are nice own way first ones what i can get really loud notes easily but softer are very hard get.
jpq

Post by jpq »

Any other differences in samplerom than piano sample? ps. sound controls sounds like Juno G is better to me but i also want konw this what i ask.
Atziluth

Post by Atziluth »

@ luke

JUNO Stage

1. Maybe something that Roland could improve in their next OS update!!!
2. You have the possibility to add 2 SRX boards of your choice to get more patches. maybe SRX-07 and SRX-09?
3. Yes unconfortable. Maybe something Roland could improve in their next OS update!!!
4. Something Roland can improve in their next OS update!!
6. Something for the next OS update!!
7. Something for the next OS update!!!!

Ok, mainly things Roland could update in their OS.

JUNO G

1. Something you get used to.
2. Maybe something that Roland have resolved?
3. Hardware problem?
4. "Old" CF technology
5. If you need more keys you will be limited.

There are just things that on the JUNO G can't be upgraded anymore (Hardware).

Conclusion:
JUNO G: You can't upgrade the hardware like the keys or the CF slot.
The other thing is that the JUNO G came out in 2006, so will there be a new product soon?

JUNO Stage: I think the most things in the JUNO Stage could be improved by an OS update and for the waveforms / sounds you can add 2 SRX cards.

Hmm, do you trust in Roland they would improve their OS in the Juno Stage? So, I would go for the JUNO Stage.
Lanski2000

Post by Lanski2000 »

What i really hate in Juno-Stage is, there is no multi splits like the Juno-G does, its very helpful if they just put the same as that multi-splits on the J-Stage, i like the touch of J-Stage and the price is not so high. Thats the only thing Im a little upset at J-Stage, Multi-splits.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Lanski2000,
About the Multi-splits...read the manual from the page 132 onwards
cossb

Post by cossb »

''juno G looks like a f*ing toy next to a 10 piece band''
ha ha ha...ha ha ha...wow i can't keep laughing at that one its too funny!
Lanski2000

Post by Lanski2000 »

YES PAULO, I DID WHAT YOU TOLD ME, NOW ITS ALL GOOD..BUT THE ONLY PROBLEM NOW FOR ME IS THE PIANO, IT SEEMS HAS A VERY SHALLOW TOUCH, I MEAN ITS VERY UNUSUAL, THE KEYBED SEEMED STURDY BUT THE TOUCH IS SOMEWHAT UNEASY, I TRIED SYSTEM VELOCITY, AT FIRST IT SEEMED GOOD BUT LATER ON IT JUST GOES BACK TO ITS SHALLOW TOUCH, DO YOU HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATION TO IT? THANKS IN ADVANCE.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

@Lanski2000,
Glad you solved the Multi-Splits.
Regarding the Keyboard feel, all depends on the Keybed and on Touch sesitivity adjustments.
I don't own a JS, so I can't help much here, but the JS has a normal synth keyboard, not very suitable for Pianists...

Ah... No need to SHOUT AT ME, I know, I'm deaf but not totally ;-D LoL