Have had Juno Stage for about 5 days

Forum for JUNO STAGE
DaveC

Have had Juno Stage for about 5 days

Post by DaveC »

i was looking for a lighter weight keyboard to play out with . i'll probably be doing a single or duo .. sadly , i sold my Access Ti desktop to make this purchase :( ...
for reference ...my other keys are a Yamaha XS8 ( 1 gig ram, S700 & Ksnds piano samples ) and a Korg M3 61 Ex
( w/ exb-Rad, exb-256 , Pcm 1-4 )

most of the sounds that i've gone thru, thus far, are very reminisent of my older Roland XV5080 and various cards ...
but a bit cleaner sounding ... the basic 88 piano sample is really pretty good , but i'm having a hard time getting the touch sensitivity set just right ... i have always played on weighted keybeds most of the time . ( i've been playing professionally since around 1974 ) ... so , getting a good feel with the synth keybed is a challenge that will take some getting used to ..!! the 88 Grand responds well when played via midi from my XS8 ... ( but the XS8 is to heavey to haul around ..! ...)

from a programming point , there's sa lot you can do from the front panel ... i'm just not real familiar with Roland's layout just yet .. but it's in there ..!! the software might make that much easier ..? haven't tried that yet ...

Songplayer ... just tried it quickly ... dumped a couple MP3 fies onto to a USB stick and they played just fine ... a cool feature , since i didn't want to need to use another source to play some backing tracks that i'll record ...

right out of the box ... the Organ/Leslie type fx aren't set up very well ... on my other boards , you can change the Leslie speed by the mod stick ... Roland seems to have this setup to S1 on some patches ... but that seems to just turn that MFX on/off instead off changing from slow to fast ... there are some references to the Leslie effect in the manual that i have not tried to implement yet ..!?

overall the Stage sounds pretty good ... at half the price of my other keyboards , it's really not a fair comparison ... i've been spoiled ... nothing will replace the sounds of the Access Ti ... but the next time i get the itch for analog , i'll probably try to find a Andromeda ..!! More to come , as i'll be working with the Stage a little every day ... later , Dave C.

www.myspace.com/musicbydavec www.musicbydavec.com
PauloF

On the Analogue...

Post by PauloF »

Hi DaveC,
On the Analogue...
Did you ever try the V-Synth (v2.0, XT or GT ) ? they are awesome !!!

Take care
PauloF
DaveC

Re: Have had Juno Stage for about 5 days

Post by DaveC »

yeh ... i checked out the XT ... i always loved my old D50 ..
when it first came out i checked it out several times ... but the basic patch set wasn't what i was needing ... i think that has improved greatly ... a used XT might be something to look into in the future ..!

but it IS another VA ... virtual analog ...

there are several Real analogs to choose from , but the Andromeda has the most polyphony at 16 ... Moog has - 1 ,
Dave Smith 4-8 , Prophet - 8 ....

the 80-100 note polyphony and sound of the Access Ti is why the Ti was my 1st choice for a VA ... it seemed to have a wide choice of usefull sounds .. but had to let it go to gather some gear to play out with ...

i think/hope the Juno Stage will be a good keyboard for me to use out ... and hopefully have a few good sounds to layer with my other keys for recording ..!!
PauloF

Re: Have had Juno Stage for about 5 days

Post by PauloF »

Enjoy your Juno Stage then.

I'm thinking about going for a Sonic Cell to complete my gear, as I'm planning to play live at a few gigs, so the XT, PCR and Sonic Cell will be a hell of a "light" and yet powerful combination.

Take care
PauloF