Vocoder dynamics & Juno-Stage vs. others

Forum for JUNO STAGE
breakbeatah

Vocoder dynamics & Juno-Stage vs. others

Post by breakbeatah »

How flexible is the vocoder on this unit? Is it as flexible as Vocal Designer? vs. Fantom G?

looking to investing into something new soon, but need to know about the overall sound quality. is the Juno Stage's sound engine modeled after the Fantom? i guess none of that matters since I plan on routing my gear through a Neve 1073ADP, so it'll sound dirty & phat! then again the Fantom G6 has so many effects for a lot of channels. A Neumann through a Neve line out to Juno Stage I'm sure I'll get great results.
Deuce

Re: Vocoder dynamics & Juno-Stage vs. others

Post by Deuce »

Not sure how you are defining "flexible" in this question, but I have used the pre-sets for some live gigs, and have been pretty happy with it. I did note that you need the mic volume up quite a bit higher to get a good vocorder sound than for just singing through it (made for some nasty feedback when I forgot to turn down when switching to a non-vocorder patch). I haven't realy dug into changing anything on it yet, but the pres are good for stuff like "Funky Town" and some Bon Jovi stuff.
luke

Re: Vocoder dynamics & Juno-Stage vs. others

Post by luke »

If you want a true vocoder sound, get a Korg R3, because the Stage ain't doing the job, unfortunately. It is like the D-beam - you're happy that you've got an extra feature, but its usage is very limited.

Yes - there are audible changes to the carrier, but the result is unclear and clumsy. If you find a way to change the carrier using the built-in or software editor, you might be able to shape it into something better, though.