Not many people on this forum experiment much

Forum for JUNO STAGE
johnpall

Not many people on this forum experiment much

Post by johnpall »

Hi is there anyone out there? i've posted some ?'s but no one responds, i think i've asked an obvious ? & that is: does anyone use the JUNO-STAGE for audio backing tracks.
PaulLav78

Re: Not many people on this forum experiment much

Post by PaulLav78 »

I agree this forum is ---- and not worth having after I posted a few things myself. Any chance of giving me guidance on how to layer and split sounds in performance?
Cheers

Another lonely forum user
muzikman2008

Post by muzikman2008 »

I use my Juno Stage to play back MP3s off memory USB stick, and play along with it... it works well!... even if the PC software is buggy, i get around it. I download karaoke tracks save them to USB, create a performance splitting the keyboard, set levels etc, save it for instant playback.

I bought the Stage primarily for this feature, along with 76 note keyboard, and massive sound set, and its light weight as im getting old and tired now lol :-)

It really is a great gigging keyboard and i am 1 building libraries of songs to play live with little equipment and maximum financial return... work in progress.
commando

Post by commando »

Hi PaulLav79
Layering and splitting. The Roland manual and indeed most video ads of this keyboard, imply that splits are easily achieved simply by the press of the split button. This is correct only if you have 2 sounds (patches etc) in use. But the JS can run with 16 parts, any or all of which can be be layered or split. You have to programme it a different way to achieve this.
Pick one of the 64 User Performances to overwrite, one that you don't need or don't like (although they will still all be available as patches, bearing the same Number). Format the performance - SHIFT/INIT etc. Press 'Partview'. This will display an endless list of "88StageGrand". Start by altering the number of the first line
until you arrive at the patch that you fancy. This can be a patch, user performance or GM patch (consult the manual for the full list of sounds). By pressing the other red-illuminated dual function "Favourite" tabs, you will open up the relative information screens showing patch, level & pan, pitch, output, FX source, page, etc. If you press "page" you will enter another series of screens, showing, output, keyboard etc. The "keyboard" is vital during set-up, since you can now nominate the exact section of the keyboard that you want your selected patch to work from.
For example, you may decide to have patch 381 'Brass' operating on the top 2 octaves of the keyboard. Using the wheel, index the key to start from K.L.wherever you want (like C6 for instance), and upper key K.U. would be G9. Alter 'pitch' to suit, probably minus 2.
Pressing "Page" again gets you back to the first screen. Go back to "Patch". index down to line 2. Dial in the patch you want. Set up the keyboard range for that patch. Adjust 'Pitch' to suit as before.
You can add up to 16 such parts in this way but usually 6 to 10 will be enough. If you overdo the list, the processor will run out of ram when you hit a lot of keys together.
The keyboard range allocation that I mentioned can allow patches to overlap, thus creating layers. By skilfully blending in this way you can create a keyboard that has many different sounds in different areas of the keyboard. This type of "Performance" is then "written" and saved and can be allocated into a "Favourite" slot. You can give it a name too.
I have many "Performances" saved in my "Favourites" but I have tailored these to particular songs or medleys and I have to remember where they are and roughly where the tone breaks occur.
When you are creating these User Performances you also need to dial in appropriate levels of reverb and tick 'Reverb' boxes in the FX section.
Don't be afraid of messing up. Do a USB back-up before you start. Do 'write' regularly as you create, so that things are saved in stages. Then you will not inadvertently lose them if you change tabs. Make careful notes of the effects settings of the original patches that you are using, so that you can achieve a similar sound. e.g PAT1, L& R etc - whatever the original was.
All the above covers layering. If you want to split, then it seems that only Part 1 can be differentiated from the other parts, so programme accordingly. I have not found a way of overcoming this but by allocating the keyboard as I do, I can play live in real time with all the sounds I need on one User Performance setup.
There are all sorts of pitfalls but by trying (and swearing) you will develop a routine and be able to create many fabulous sounds.
I hope this helps and apologise for it's lack of brevity.
Have a dabble.
Doghouse65

Post by Doghouse65 »

Using a usb pen drive for playback of backing tracks is very simple - stick the drive in, select playlist, navigate to the correct song and hit the play button! The band I play in is a classic rock covers band so we dont use full song backing tracks but i do use the song player for some intros (Pink Floyds Time is a good example).

In terms of the Forum and lack of interest - I am new and whilst we may be few we should use the board as a as an invaluable resource for Stage users.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I used to experiment a lot with my JV-880 and later with my XP-30, but since I have the Juno Stage, I don't experiment that much. I love the functionality and the sounds it has right out of the box, and I know my way around the patch and performance editing because of my experience with the JV-880 and XP-30. Due to the lack of time I have nowadays, I only make necessary changes to sounds, I don't get to extensive experimenting any more, and I think that's a shame. This device offers a great deal of possibilities and has all the options you could expect from a device in this range... and more, I think.