Volume pedal

Forum for JUNO STAGE
Martin584

Volume pedal

Post by Martin584 »

Hi. Having just ordered a Juno Stage i need a volume pedal, could someone recommend a anything?. i'm looking at a Roland EV-5 is this ok. thanks.
johnny81

Re: Volume pedal

Post by johnny81 »

Do you want a suggestion???
Delete your order..... Roland doesn't have a valid technical support and Juno Stage has a lot of bugs.
SonnyDaye

Post by SonnyDaye »

As much as I hate to, I have to agree with Johnny's suggestion. Too many bugs and too much frustration with this company. The Juno-Stage has been out for well over a year and Roland has done NOTHING about fixing the many bugs. And it doesn't appear that they are interested in fixing it. Very sad.
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

Martin,

I have the Juno Stage and the EV-5, and they work great together. Enjoy your new keyboard!
donutninja

Post by donutninja »

Oops, double post!
Martin584

Post by Martin584 »

Ah too late, it arrived yesterday and i took it to a practise, it's um ok. obviously not had a lot of time with it but first impression is that its not great, well not nearly £1000 great. hopefull y it will grow on me. Thanks donutninja.
commando

Post by commando »

donutninja. Please advise how you have set up your EV-5 pedal. I noticed that every time I changed patches, the new patch came in at full volume, irrespective of where the EV-5 pedal was set. After the pedal has been nudged slightly the volume reduced to where I expected from the pedal position.

The only satisfactory way I could control volume was by using a full-blown FV500L pedal. The EV-5 might be ok as an expression pedal but it has this oddity following patch/performance/favourite change.

Martin584 - Beware before you buy an EV-5.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Martin584,
The EV-5 was built to be used mainly as an Expression pedal (not Volume, despite the similarity...).
If configured as an Expression Pedal (CC11), opposed to a Volume Pedal (CC07), it will just work perfectly, and even when you change sounds, the Pedal position will be "remembered" and the synth will act accordingly.
commando

Post by commando »

Mine is configured as 'CC11 expression' but the volume is not remembered when I change sounds - it always comes it at full volume until the pedal is moved very slightly.
IHTWolf

Post by IHTWolf »

Mine is forgetting the CC11 also. See here:
http://forums.rolandclan.com/?action=show_thread&thread...

Ingo
LeeRoi

Post by LeeRoi »

I was using the EV-5 but found that it had a very limited range of volume over the travel distance of the pedal. I purchased a Yamaha FC7 pedal, which provides a much more dynamic volume response, and on the whole is a better constructed pedal. One caution, the Yahama pedal was wired for Yamaha keyboards. If you are going to use it with a Roland keyboard, you will need to cut off the 1/4 plug on the end and replace it with a new one, with the wires connected to the opposite terminals- i.e. reverse polarity (sound like a difficult job but it's really not).

Lee

BTW, I've been using my Stage for a year, and overall I'm very pleased with it.
MikeV

Post by MikeV »

I have the Stage which I use in my gig rig together with an RD700SX. I have to say I have major issues with the EV-5 in terms of response as well. I have an FC7 and tried reversing the wiring on it. All I get is either full bore max volume or dead silence.

Setting the board to CC11 instead of CC07 did at least let the Roland pedal function as advertised, though.
LeeRoi

Post by LeeRoi »

I'm not sure why you aren't getting a smooth response on the FC7. It does have a memory function which means that you may get a sudden burst in volume unless you "reset" the pedal by returning it to its fully raised (i.e. lowest volume) position. But that doesn't sound like what's going on.
bluemeenie

Post by bluemeenie »

Your EV-5 should have a full range. If you haven't tried the pot on the side, turn this all the way down and it should now be full range. If not, it sounds defective.
You shouldn't need to replace the plug with a different polarity. Almost all keyboards nowadays let you switch polarity in your internal settings.