Any Juno Stage development news???

Forum for JUNO STAGE
Lanski2000

Any Juno Stage development news???

Post by Lanski2000 »

As I read the forum, I noticed that there is a lot of issues really going on about the JS, is there any further development or maybe updates? Pls post some tips and user experience related problems, so far my JS doing well, I got it just a week ago.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Any Juno Stage development news???

Post by Artemiy »

Are you experiencing any issues with your JUNO? If so, please post them here. If not - why worry?
Lanski2000

Post by Lanski2000 »

I just experiencing some high pitch sometimes, Maybe Its because I changed the velocity in my system that says " REAL - HEAVY - +50 ", as I read in the forum, which In my case i need to make it a little bit lower, the +50. Il try +20 and so on, Il post it here if it happen again. I do my gig 6 days/week. Thanks!
jdpeffer

Post by jdpeffer »

Issues, with the stage?

There are a lot of them, which i have had direct contact with roland but the have not been able to reslove the issues yet. I have a promise from Roland the will create an update for the Stage, but this was already 2 months ago.

Most issues have been reported here by other users already, those i didn't include below.

I play with multiple bands, freelance and semi-prof. I have a Fantom X next to the Stage, with only needs for performance changes to synchronize (i program every synth seperatly).

1. when using a rotary effect on MFX 1,2 or 3. Turning the speed on/off with the S1/S2 button and leaving it on. Then changing to a new performance sometimes leave a sound whit a modulation effect left (which was not programmes). Only solution so far: Quickly turn to patch mode and then back to performance...

2. Same issue, but with other type of effect, result in other performance is a slow attack in the sound.

3. When using a few of the drawbar organ sounds, and tranposing, will not transpose all drawbars.

4. Normally performance select commands will trigger any other synth which is on default channel 16 for receiving midi information, but, when using favorites, the stage will not send out any performance change commands.

Then there are some issues which make it an impossible instrument for using it in a live performance with another synth.

5. Sound modify knobs are not always functional when using a MFX processor for routing the sounds through, reverb and chores settings need to be done in a program screen (MFX routing), so it is not possible to change the chorus/reverb live.

6. Buttons S1/S2 settings are not stored in a performance, and so, not recalled when change a performance. Result is that if you turn on an effect, or rotary speed and change to another performance, you don't know what is the current status.

7. S1/S2 buttons are not programmed for a specific part but only react on the currently selected part, so you need to remeber (or write down), which sound is on which part, select the part and then use the S1/S2 buttons, when you play live, with fast swiching performances this is not a really practical situation.

And last, a problem the way Roland is using performance,

I don't know about other people, but we do more songs than 64, only 64 performance available makes it really difficult to program songs, now i always search for ways to combine multiple songs in one performance by layering/splitting sounds.

Secondly, you can only create one back-up for every USB stick, so for every band i carry around an USB stick with the settings (same goes for the Fantom X).

In short, it's not a "live" synth, it has some great features (MP3, Midiplayer, sounds) but i bought it to use live, i still own it because i think Roland has to atleast solve most issues, but, if i can maken a deal with the store i bought it and Roland does't provide any solutions soon i won't keep it for long, altough i always liked the Roland synths a lot (i have been playing on a few different ones for > 30 years now).
Lanski2000

Post by Lanski2000 »

Absolutely right! JS program seemed to forget the way you set it up. And piano keybed seemed not responsive at all, even i hit it real hard but still I cant hear it. Im loosing my faith in JS, its very far from xp-80 when it comes to playabilty and sound delivery. Specially in live gigs. I could hardly find program similar to those synths from 80's.. my brasses is terrible.. How I wish Roland could find a better solution for that. Im a Roland user since '94.

Please post any tips on how to improve the JS.
I badly need help on how to manually program and get the synth sound similar to the songs Final Countdown and Jump.

And my piano.. I really need help.
jdpeffer

Post by jdpeffer »

Ok, just got a message back from Roland account manager...

Development on the stage has no priority and it is unlikely that they will provide any updates in the future...

So bewared when you buy this thing. It has a lot of problems and Roland is not developing to solve these problems.

For me, and my customers it was the last Roland device i bought or suggested. I will return the stage to the reseller which will take it back and get another synth, probaply the S70 from Yamaha.
jdpeffer

Post by jdpeffer »

well,
It just happend, Roland agreed with my dealer that ik could bring back the synthesizer and receive my money back!

Thanks for the dealer. Bad for Roland...
wladymeer

Post by wladymeer »

I had some strange issues going with Juno Stage - not sure if it's because I left my pitch range from -12 to +2 but if I try to do vibrato with moving in X-range to the right (not Y+) I can feel some awkward vibrato sound. But, longer I play it, vibrato becomes more what I expect it to be. I will try to test it properly this weekend to confirm is this placebo or it's really going on. The thing is that vibrato I'm trying to do when the glitch is on sounds like I set pitch range -12 to +12 and that it recalls at some time and gets info that I actually set +2.

On the other hand, can we expect to see some OS update? I'm especially concerned because of MIDI Controller usage. I've just had my tryout of Juno Gi (which can easily become best MIDI controller with sound engine inside with 12 assignable buttons, 6 sliders and 6 knobs!)

So, dear Artemiy, if you have any influence about this, here are some real important add-ons for next-update:

• Allow us to select CCs all the way up to CC#127. Currently we can select only up to CC#90
• Allow us to store multiple layouts of MIDI controller and allow us to load it. I believe that even 2 would be really handy.
• Enhance MIDI controler function with usage of next buttons like you did with Juno Gi series:
SONG TOP
BWD
FWD
SONG END
S1
S2
LOCK
you also may consider:
RHYTHM PATTERN (if I'm using
PLAY
STOP
and why not FAVORITE UP/ASSIGNABLE (it's called ASSIGNABLE for a reason)
and VOLUME, MIC VOLUME and REVERB as well (would be handy to have some knobs on the left side so that we can play with right hand, VOLUME and MIC VOLUME could be easily set for CUTOFF and RESONANCE for example)

Too bad they forget every product that isn't new one. I really feel like I was tricked with buying JUNO STAGE as MIDI controller and that I don't get access to all 127 CCs. I mean, okay, I can override and find some shortcuts it with DAW, but what if I want to use it live with sound modules? No shortcuts or DAW there (unless I take laptop with me as well). Not to mention that CC are basics of MIDI using these days...