MIDI output while playing Perf

Forum for JUNO STAGE
MrNelsonB

MIDI output while playing Perf

Post by MrNelsonB »

Hello: I just got a Juno Stage to replace my XP80. I've reviewed the owner's manual & browsed this forum but don't see anything on this subject.

Is there anyway of controlling which MIDI channels the keyboard outouts when it's in Performance mode? I note that channels 1 & 2 are output when I'm playing. There are certain times I need to play sounds from the Juno but want to turn off or change the MIDI channels transmitted while I'm playing. Is this possible? Thanks for any suggestions.
Bob H

Re: MIDI output while playing Perf

Post by Bob H »

Sorry, but it looks like I hit the send instead of shift.

I had to select a separate channel (other than 1,2,3,or 4) and commit the Stage to transmit/receive on that as well as the Hammond organ. I had to activate the NRPN option on the Hammond for it to respond to the note on/off commands of the Stage when in midi mode. No program change instructions are sent from the Stage, I believe, in this mode. Don't know if this helps or not. I can discuss specific settings if you think it will help your situation. Admittedly, I'm only using one midi cable, Stage out to Hammond in. I haven't added the other cable yet, but tend to believe that it would not change the operation. However I don't want the Hammond to control the Stage for anything, at this time.

The problem I was having initially, was after hitting the midi button on the Stage, I would return to patch or performance. The Stage continued to play the Hammond at the same time it played any internal voice. I needed the Stage to perform as the lower manual to the Hammond only, while in midi mode, but when returning to ptch/perfm, needed it to function as a stand alone unit without activating the Hammond voices at the same time.

Good luck. Like I said, if it helps great.

Bob H.
MrNelsonB

Re: MIDI output while playing Perf

Post by MrNelsonB »

Thanks Bob. That was my problem too - the keyboard continued to play the internal instrument. In your case it was a Hammond, in my case it is a channel on the Reason Hardware INterface.

I haven't messed around with the NRPN settings as I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the MIDI controller settings. I'm probably making this alot more complicated tha it is.

Nelson