Stupid Question but I gotta ask.....

Forum for JUNO STAGE
muzicmaken

Stupid Question but I gotta ask.....

Post by muzicmaken »

How come my keyboards sound so much better when through headphones? I was playing around and even connected the cable to a little mini stereo sound system I have and it sounds great. The minute I connect it with the mono outputs it sounds crappy....IS it because the stereo is better? This also does the same when connecting my Juno-D and Korg PS60...

I bought a Makie 4 chan board to run my keyboards through and even when plug'd into the makie via the 1/4 mono outs on the keyboard and listening through the headphones it sounded crappy...But if I plug my headphones directly into the keyboard itself it sounds fantastic...

I'm just wondering if it is because running stereo is better? I don't know that's why I'm asking you all :)

Ken
V-CeeOh

Re: Stupid Question but I gotta ask.....

Post by V-CeeOh »

mmm, you do know that when you plug the L and R outupts you DO have to PAN the channels to Left and Right respectively, don't you?
muzicmaken

Post by muzicmaken »

I do know that if you're going into the board stereo but not mono.....

My question is why it sounds better through the headphone jack as oppose to the mono jacks on the boards...Is it because in mono everything is muddied up?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Yes, obviously a lot will depend on the sound, the patch you're playing and FX.

Mono? If you're not panning the signals L/R then you're summing them together. In effect, there definitely could be an issue. Roland especially loves those wide stereo sounds.

Stereo? Mono? Which is better?

Dunno mate, you tell me, but there is no tangible difference in the Juno's outputs.
muzicmaken

Post by muzicmaken »

Thanks for your reply that sounds very true. The streo sound IMO sounds better and I think maybe my keyboard mixer compresses the sound a little which muddies the sound.

Ken